Seatpost clamp question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Quick question,
I am currently building up my 36 Hawthorne and ran into something that I did not see coming.
The bike has a lucky 7, 5/8'' diameter seatpost, I am trying to run a brooks saddle with a 7/8'' clamp.
Is there a clamp that I can use to resolve this?
Or does anyone know of a seat post that goes from 5/8'' to 7/8"?
Thanks in advance for any info you might be able to share.

When I first got into the old bike thing I went shopping for a seat post at a bike shop, she had an old used 5/8 post and sold it to me and gave me an item number of a metal shim that I got out of the hardware drawers at Lowe's Home Improvement (same hardware drawers in Home Depot), that shim slid snugly over the post and was th correct diameter to fit current seat clamps. She told me to cut a notch in the shim with a hack saw so that it would clamp tight on the post... I never did, it worked fine. I'll have to go home and measure and see what I can find if this is the route you want to take.

older shops may still have 7/8 - 5/8 adapter shims laying around. they were probably from wald.

i don't see them being stocked by our distributors anymore though...

My wife had to pick something up at Lowes so I went with her on lunch. It's a Hillman Zinc Steel Spacer, 5/8 x 7/8 x 1 1/2. Cost about $2.50, I bought one just in case I ever need another.

shim.jpg

yoothgeye said:
My wife had to pick something up at Lowes so I went with her on lunch. It's a Hillman Zinc Steel Spacer, 5/8 x 7/8 x 1 1/2. Cost about $2.50, I bought one just in case I ever need another.

shim.jpg

Nice! Looks like I will be stopping by at lows later. Might pick up a handful, thanks yoothgeye.

No problem, glad to help. If you get one of these I'd go ahead and take a hack saw, dremel, or angle grinder and put a cut on it to make sure your saddle won't slip once tightened down, or if you have access, just slide (I had to hammer) this on the post and get it welded on, I'll probably go back and weld mine.

If you don't have a welder handy you could slide it on the seven seatpost
and drill a small hole close to the end where it won't make any difference and
stick a nail...cotter pin or something to keep it on and not turning.

Latest posts

Back