Second Helping

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read a ton of stuff, a lot of pros and cons, and my thinking is that it is as good as a 3 cross. The guys at the bike shop figured how to lace up two rims to one hub for me, so they shouldn't have a problem with these. I laced those up 3x, but they wouldn't true up until they re-laced them in a oddball pattern. It looks fairly east to lace up.

1 tube ww.JPG

I'm still waiting on hubs, and the holiday might run all the way into the new year, so it may be more than another week. They put a lot of priority and emphasis on holidays here in the Philippines.

Last edited:
Thanks. I see you interlaced them, I'm not interlacing them as I've read that makes them hard to true, and chips the paint off the colored spokes. But they are stronger that way.

Hubs finally showed up and they actually are sealed bearing hubs.

Well I did the 3L3T lacing on the front wheel. It doesn't look much different from a 3x wheel, maybe too many different colors.

View attachment 181519
Hmm, was also expecting more "pop"....
Maybe if you made the 6 spokes of the same crossover group in the same color?

It only took an hour at the shop to re-spoke the front wheel and true up both of them. I added the cluster and the rim is lined up perfectly down the middle. The colors aren't in sync on the front but it's not a big deal, I still left the guys a tip twice the cost of the work.

cluster.jpg

I show up at least once a month with a pair of wheels that need truing, and I buy some parts whether I really need them or not. I still don't spend 20 bucks.

I finally got the mix-up with the tire order cleared up. I ordered two sets and they sent two tires only. It still would have been a decent deal at less than 20 bucks each. The second set showed up today and I will work on the derailleur and gears tomorrow.

tires done.jpg

Second Helping was stripped of it's wheels, cranks, etc to make the bike "beyond mechanical limits" a reality. It was worth it to get the kids a safe and cool bike.

raf5.jpg

4 July new owner2.jpg

After finishing Ruby with spare parts, I still have 2 rims, tires, and other scrap parts laying around. So, Second Helping will get a second chance yet again. I still have some blue spokes left so the blue theme will still be there.

11 Sep 2022 second helping.jpg

I read a ton of stuff, a lot of pros and cons, and my thinking is that it is as good as a 3 cross. The guys at the bike shop figured how to lace up two rims to one hub for me, so they shouldn't have a problem with these. I laced those up 3x, but they wouldn't true up until they re-laced them in a oddball pattern. It looks fairly east to lace up.

View attachment 181410

I'm still waiting on hubs, and the holiday might run all the way into the new year, so it may be more than another week. They put a lot of priority and emphasis on holidays here in the Philippines.
How wide is each rim?

I finally found 57mm wide rims, so those 30mm rims were stored until now. Back then they together made a 60mm rim. The rims are the ones I'm using now, as they are the only spare rims I have left. I used up my extra spokes of different colors to make up these wheels. They go to the shop for truing tomorrow.

11 Sep wheels.jpg

I finally found 57mm wide rims, so those 30mm rims were stored until now. Back then they together made a 60mm rim. The rims are the ones I'm using now, as they are the only spare rims I have left. I used up my extra spokes of different colors to make up these wheels. They go to the shop for truing tomorrow.

View attachment 209491
I meant the 1s that you screwed together to make the wide wheel

Second Helping has been redone and is ready for a ride today. The paint job has held up well, it still shines. With an easy 40/18 gear setup it's made for cruising the neighborhood.
I now have three cruisers ready to ride. I'm trying for a different bike to ride for each day of the week. With my 3 new skinny bikes from the latest build off, that makes 6 bikes at the ready.
All the left over parts in the shop will be set aside for the annual build off in May.
28 Jan 23 redo3 - Copy.jpg

28 Jan 23 redo2.jpg

28 Jan 23 redo.jpg

Latest posts

Back