Seen the movie Klunkers? WE JUST RODE PEARL PASS ON KLUNKS!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(copied from my post on mtbr). Austin is cobraontrike here at RRB.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Holy cow. That was a ride and a half. Klunkers Rock!

I had wanted to do the Pearl Pass Tour since I picked up my Cooks Bros back in March this year (see here). I couldn't get any friends to commit though so I'd sort of given up and figured I would have to do it either later in the year or next year. But on Tuesday last week, my buddy Austin called me and asked how my bike was coming along. I had ordered some parts the week before and they had JUST arrived Tuesday evening. I told him I had a bare frame and some parts that MIGHT work. Neither of us were sure what we would do, but both of us started building bikes Tuesday evening (the ride was scheduled for Saturday). Austin's ride was a pre-war schwinn excelsior complete with a Morrow- 1 speed-skiptooth-coaster brake hub.

We both "finished" the bikes Thursday evening and we made arrangement to stay in gunnison late friday night then continue to crested butte on Sat morning to meet up at the MTB Hall of Fame... With no time to test ride the bikes, it was sure to be an interesting ride.

We weren't quite ready when the group started riding so we left a little later (after Don Cook circled back around and asked if we were riding with them). He gave us some istructions and a map and we were on our way fully knowing we would be WELL behind the rest of the group the entire way.

(borrowed from DoubleCentury (kashi?))
640044d1315809270-vintage-2011-pearl-pass-tour-salsa-18-img_6195.jpg

That's me in the green jacket and Austin in the denim vest with white walls.

We each had backpacks full of tools, water, food, lights, and spare clothes that weighed around 25-30lbs each. We were ready for a long haul.

We started riding around 9:30 am toward Brush Creek Road. Don had had to circle back around while leaving town with us and soon caught up with us again on the dirt road. All three of us road together for a mile or so, then Don rocketed off.

The dirt road was pretty rideable for quite a while, then we had to slow down for a few spots since Austin had two speed; sit and stand. We wanted to ride together for safety reasons.

IMG_3405.jpg

The road

IMG_3408.jpg

My steed

IMG_3410.jpg

IMG_3412.jpg

Mud Bath!

IMG_3414.jpg

Smooth Road!

IMG_3417.jpg

Going...

IMG_3418.jpg

going...

IMG_3419.jpg

Gone!

IMG_3422.jpg

High campsite.

IMG_3424.jpg

Steep Climb

IMG_3425.jpg

That's crested butte resport in the center. We started on the OTHER side of that mountain.

IMG_3428.jpg

Pond near the false summit

IMG_3429.jpg

little bit further...

IMG_3439.jpg

Giant SNOWBALLS!

IMG_3441.jpg

heck YES!!!

IMG_3456.jpg

We got a motorcyclist to take our photo.

IMG_3460.jpg

The original motorcycle bars on my Cooks.

[url=http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/gg115/subadrew99/PearlPass2011/?action=view&current=MVI_3458.mp4]http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/gg11 ... I_3458.mp4
[/URL]
quick video of Austin coming down the first part of the downhill (foul language).

IMG_3467.jpg

I kept having to reverse the seatpost on the ride due to it bending. Going to get a solid aluminum replacement.

IMG_3470.jpg

How do you make this shot prettier?

IMG_3473.jpg

Duh!

IMG_3475.jpg

Austin decided he needed to suddenly get more aerodynamic while going down some bumpy road. It was hilarious to watch, but he saved it =).

IMG_3476.jpg

pretty pond near the top on the campsite road.

IMG_3478.jpg

We made it to the paved road at 7:15/7. We had some lights in our packs and strapped them on after a quick little whiskey celebration.

Rode into downtown Aspen a little after 8pm and rode by the bar to see if anyone was there. They all were, but we needed to make sure we had a room to stay in so we checked in, then came back. When we returned, everyone had already left =(. A beer or two later and we both called it a night ourselves. It was a LONG day.

Since we're not THAT hardcore, we took the shuttle back from Aspen the next day.

IMG_3486.jpg

In front of the Mountain Bike Hall of Fame museum the next day.

The ride was my first time riding a rigid mountain bike since the early 90's. It was Austin first time mountain biking at all! Both our training regimes were riding cruiser bikes and drinking beer :rolleyes:, but we made it!

Plans if we do it again are to get a group of klunker riders from Denver and go up Friday morning and camp and the original campsite. Then we'll meet up with the riders who start on Sat morning and ride down with them (or at least try to).

Man that is just like I imagined it. I dont know how many times i google maped or looked at the route but didn't want to try it by myself. You guys are for real. Did you guys stop in at the Gunnison Brewery or Tomichi Cycles? The photos are great . Oh and I'm glad to see Austin wore his "high-Tech" mountain clothes.

Great pictures and great effort. I don't see how anyone rides at more than 620 ft elevation (here) ... :D
Looks like great fun. I am in awe! :!:

Awesome adventure and trip report thanks for sharing! Just started riding a rigid mtb again (gt peacer SS 29er) 6 months back, I can appreciate the rocks.

I walked that route in the mid 70's. Beautiful, although I couldn't see trying to bike it....

RRB- Where history comes alive!

8)

It was hard (HARD) work, but it was a blast in the end. I just wish we had gotten into Aspen a little bit sooner. Everyone offered to buy us drinks since we made it, but then when we came back after checking into the hostel, everyone was gone =(.

I just ordered some 7/8 aluminum for a solid seatpost. I want to ride the cooks a bit longer before I decide if I want to sell it or not.

Latest posts

Back