seized neck/headset has my truss rods prisoner!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a very crusty prewar girls bike with some truss rods I'm trying to salvage. Trouble is, the stem is seized and the crown nut of the headset is half disintegrated. Also the forks are bent so the steering tube is hard to move. I think my best bet is gonna be a hacksaw but I'm open to suggestions first. I was able to remove the truss rods okay. Going after the upper bracket is my challenge now.

I've applied lots of penetrating oil and will continue to do so for now. My hope is to not damage the frame -the forks are no good anyway and the stem is maybe worth saving if I can but I'm not going to shed tears if it has to go. I want that little bracket!

Have you tried propane torch? PB blaster penetrant and torch always works most of the times.

Before do that, be sure to remove the badge first. You do not want to damage that.

Don't catch yourself on fire, be safe and good luck!

use this

ice%20hardened%20sawzall%201.jpg

I would use a sawzall or hacksaw or cutoff wheel to cut stem off flush with the top of the nut. Then I would use a cutoff wheel to slice down, in 2 or more places, through the nut and steertube to the bracket, then flick the nut pieces off the tube.

Walker said:
cut the fork off at the crown so you can remove the stem/truss rod/steerer tube assembly. then dissect from there. Sawzall is you friend

This seems like a good plan. Thanks! Bringing the bracket out the bottom is going to be easier than fighting from the top. Also it gains me a chance at saving the gooseneck/stem while still getting me the bracket.

I would hack the fork at the crown too, since it is shot. I'm not sure if I've ever done that though. I think I just destroy the stem like an idiot or dremel the top nut and anything else to "try" to save the stem which has almost never been worth it since the stem is usually rustier than I care for by that point.

I put the neck into a vice and turned the forks with a 2x4. The neck disintegrated above the crown nut. after that I thought I still need to saw the fork tube somewhere but the crown nut crumbled finally. And so I got the bracket off without too much drama.

After getting what I was going for I took a look at the frame itself and decided its solid enough to think about using. I posted some pics on the ID thread and discovered its a Monark built frame. The BB was full of crud that used to be bearings and the cups were worthless but the frame itself is solid. Fifty plus years out of doors can't kill a Chicago built bicycle! The only solid paint was on the head tube of the fork. ( it was blue) The dogleg cranks were keepers too and the sprocket is usable as well.

Again look to the ID thread for more pics of frame. Thanks to all for advice.

Latest posts

Back