Serenity (1915 Sears Chief Custom) - Updated & Finished

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Serenity (1915 Sears Chief Custom) - Tank Panel Added

cave12man said:
laidbackcool said:
Just when I thought I was done, something inside that brain of mine told me to add a tank panel to the frame. Still putting the finishing touches on it and hopefully will have pics up within the next couple of days.

Just when I thought this bike couldn't get any cooler, it did! :D
I appreciate the compliment 8) !

Out with the old (KT 18 tooth rear sprocket) and in the with the new (KT 22 tooth rear sprocket). It looks like it could be the same one that's used on the 3G Jemima wheels.

Has just been mounted to the coaster brake

I trimmed down the rear end of the chain guard to accommodate the larger sprocket.

I also used an additional axle nut as a spacer to stabilize the adjuster screw, which hopefully maintains the necessary chain tension, once it becomes tightened.

Re: Serenity (1915 Sears Chief Custom) Update

A few hours ago, I took the bike for a spin to test out the new rear sprocket. Definitely easier to pedal, gives me more power when going uphill, and I really don't feel like the bike has lost much of its speed. Very happy with the results :D !

Putting the finishing touches on a faux battery can made from a 2-inch diameter pvc pipe...

611942109463lg.jpg

along with two 2-inch diameter caps to match.

025528136888sm.jpg

The pipe was about 2 feet long, so I used a saw to cut a piece down to about 9 inches. It will be painted gloss black and mounted to the frame using L steel clamps. This will be the last add-on to the bike, and once done I'll be convinced that the project will be complete. I hope to have photos posted by the end of next week at the latest.

Beautiful bike. Love the old look but modern like paint. Very very nice.

karfer67 said:
Beautiful bike. Love the old look but modern like paint. Very very nice.

That means a lot coming from you. I've checked out some of your builds and hold your work in very high regard. Thanks for the comment!

Re: Serenity (1915 Sears Chief Custom) Faux Battery Can Added

After spending a little bit of time using Bondo body filler, sanding and spot painting on the lower straight bar, here is the end result:

I also bought more scrapbook letter stickers to replace the old ones on the tank panel.

I made adjustments to the faux battery can over a month ago, but I've been unable to take photos due to the unpredictable weather in Memphis as well as my crazy work schedule. I reduced the size of the can because I felt it was a little too long and too close to the lower bar. I also added decals to give the can and the tank panel a little more personality.

I also added decals to the rear fender (seen in the photo above) as well as the front fender.

I never thought in my wildest dreams that I'd start off buying a bike from Sears over a year ago only to end up building a bike from a frame sold by Sears almost 100 years ago. I can honestly say that the end result was well worth the time, money, and effort invested into this project. I'd like to thank all of the people that I bought parts from in order to complete my first build ever, and my girlfriend for being extremely patient and supportive. I think it's safe to say that this bike is officially done 8) !!!!

Latest posts

Back