Serenity (1915 Sears Chief Custom) - Updated & Finished

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: *1915-16 Sears Chief Custom Motorbike (Heavy/Updated Pics)*

Wow, I feel like I've just come full circle. I'm very much new to this site as well as bike building. Prior to becoming a member, I browsed through this site for over a year. While forming ideas for my project, your bike was one of the first ones I came across when looking for a 700c wheelset that would be a good fit. In addition to your bike, I looked at two other builds on this site that used the CR-18's as well.

by kram: http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=24012&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30
DSC05447.jpg

& by MazdaFlyer: http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=48733
16441dc3.jpg

Your bike definitely caught my eye and I came away impressed to say the least. Thanks for sharing.

Re: *1915 Sears Chief Custom Motobike - Heavy Pics*

I recently decided to give my bike a name. It took me a while, but I think I narrowed it down to one that fits her quite well. Unless any of you can come up with something better, she will now go by the name called.... "Serenity"

Re: Serenity (1915 Sears Chief Custom Motobike)

I 've been thinking about replacing the 18t rear coaster sprocket with a 22t that I found online but keep the 52t sprocket in the front. I live in an area that has a combination of flat surfaces and hills. If anyone has any expertise with gear ratios, please feel free to chime in with your input. Thanks.

Re: Serenity (1915 Sears Chief Custom Motobike) - Done

laidbackcool said:
I 've been thinking about replacing the 18t rear coaster sprocket with a 22t that I found online but keep the 52t sprocket in the front. I live in an area that has a combination of flat surfaces and hills. If anyone has any expertise with gear ratios, please feel free to chime in with your input. Thanks.
That will drop the gearing like losing 10 teeth on the sprocket, making it easier to pedal.
With the kids running the "micro drives," I find smaller sprockets are getting easier to find, being a machinist/mechanic I see chain as alot of moving parts so I try to reduce the number of pieces(links), but that is me and I know a certain look can be achieved by a big ol chrome sprocket!
Look up gear ratio charts, a really good gearing on BMX bikes(20") is 44/16, try for a ratio that is close to that and you will be pleased.
The calculator I just found put 52/22 with a 26 x 2.125 tire at 2.36
a 44/16 on a 20" x 1.5" equals a ratio of 2.32
your current ratio figured w/26 x 2.125 is 2.89
So your going to be higher than the 44/16 a little.

Just to add, I fitted up a 44/16 (2.75) to my muscle bike build with its 25 inch tall rear tire, even with the heavy rear wheel it is just about perfect, so on a standard 26 inch I think the same 2.35-2.75 ratio or thereabouts is a good baseline... It is what I try to aim for on any full size single speed. But then I live in an area that is pretty flat.

Your desired 52/22 combo would give you a 2.36 ratio which is just inside the butter zone, plus it is at the bottom end of the zone so will give you more power for those hills you mentioned... Should work out nicely. :wink:

A word of warning when looking at bmx ratios, they normally run more for acceleration than cruising speed, I find just scaling up the same gear ratios from the 20 to the 26 makes up the difference. But, if you are running a chopper or something where you cant stand up for more power you might want to go lower, I did a 24/27 chopper once with a 38/16 (2.375) that in combination with the 24inch rear worked out nice...

Luke.

mikeeebikey said:
laidbackcool said:
That will drop the gearing like losing 10 teeth on the sprocket, making it easier to pedal.
With the kids running the "micro drives," I find smaller sprockets are getting easier to find, being a machinist/mechanic I see chain as alot of moving parts so I try to reduce the number of pieces(links), but that is me and I know a certain look can be achieved by a big ol chrome sprocket!
Look up gear ratio charts, a really good gearing on BMX bikes(20") is 44/16, try for a ratio that is close to that and you will be pleased.
The calculator I just found put 52/22 with a 26 x 2.125 tire at 2.36
a 44/16 on a 20" x 1.5" equals a ratio of 2.32
your current ratio figured w/26 x 2.125 is 2.89
So your going to be higher than the 44/16 a little.
LukeTheJoker said:
Just to add, I fitted up a 44/16 (2.75) to my muscle bike build with its 25 inch tall rear tire, even with the heavy rear wheel it is just about perfect, so on a standard 26 inch I think the same 2.35-2.75 ratio or thereabouts is a good baseline... It is what I try to aim for on any full size single speed. But then I live in an area that is pretty flat.

Your desired 52/22 combo would give you a 2.36 ratio which is just inside the butter zone, plus it is at the bottom end of the zone so will give you more power for those hills you mentioned... Should work out nicely. :wink:

A word of warning when looking at bmx ratios, they normally run more for acceleration than cruising speed, I find just scaling up the same gear ratios from the 20 to the 26 makes up the difference. But, if you are running a chopper or something where you cant stand up for more power you might want to go lower, I did a 24/27 chopper once with a 38/16 (2.375) that in combination with the 24inch rear worked out nice...

Luke.
I can't thank you guys enough for sharing this very helpful and insightful information 8) !

Just when I thought I was done, something inside that brain of mine told me to add a tank panel to the frame. Still putting the finishing touches on it and hopefully will have pics up within the next couple of days.

sensor said:
Looking forward to seeing it. I'm sure it will be just as sweet as the rest of the bike!
+1! Agreed! :mrgreen:

Luke.

For installing my first tank panel ever, I think it turned out about as good as it's gonna' get. I used diamond patterned expanded sheet...

053538521202lg.jpg

...and aluminum sheet metal.

053538520014lg.jpg

A cardboard template was used to trace the shape onto the aluminum sheet metal, then two pieces were cut out. I then used one of the cutouts as a guide to shape and cut out the expanded sheet. From that point on with great patience, I trimmed down the expanded sheet until I got the right fit. Thereafter, I reduced the size of the aluminum sheet metal to more of a rectangular appearance. Steel snips are the only tool I used for cutting and trimming the panel. After drilling mounting holes in the aluminum sheet metal, L steel clamps were used to mount the pieces of aluminum sheet metal over the respective sides of the expanded sheet. Once I was satisfied with the mock-up, I threw on some paint and slapped on the scrapbook stickers from Wal-Mart for the lettering. Here are the photos:

laidbackcool said:
Just when I thought I was done, something inside that brain of mine told me to add a tank panel to the frame. Still putting the finishing touches on it and hopefully will have pics up within the next couple of days.

Just when I thought this bike couldn't get any cooler, it did! :D

Latest posts

Back