Sex change for the Evans Colson. "Hombre" Done! Estodo!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, you know when you come to a point in your build, you just kinda get stuck? That's where I've been with my headlight/tail light/battery tube. I found a Delta with some patina that works better than what I had started with. With the help of Kingfish I was able to cut the back of the sealed beam out, and update with a cool little led I bought at a truck stop. ($16 for the pair I think )
20140718_203030.jpg
20140718_200645.jpg

My next dilemma was securing the caps on the end of my battery tube. I used 1" copper pipe
cut long enough to hold 6 c cell batteries. The caps fit pretty loose, so I cut a notch out of each end of the tube and pried them open just a bit. The caps now fit very snugly. The contacts for the battery are just pennies soldered to the wire with a little plastic insulation between the cap.
20140718_201204.jpg

I pulled the plastic chrome backing piece out of an old donor flashlight to replace the back of the sealed beam I cut out. Pretty happy with the brightness (and efficiency) of that tiny led bulb.
20140718_200723.jpg

My next step will be fabricating some clamps to most the tube and then running wire. Getting close to being finished! Oh yeah, found a tire driven bell that kicks but. It's like the worst alarm clock ever when you are going fast! Only problem, it was all chrome and shiny, so I got it right. Rust bath.
20140718_200951.jpg

Nice work buddy!

Coming down to crunch time and starting to hit snags. I was trying to re - use the Wald clamps that came off the basket the bike was "equipped" with when I got her to hold the battery tube. Made a couple clamp ends and bent the radius that would hold the battery tube and voila, too long to fit behind the seat tube where I planned, and didn't quite look right in front of the seat tube, (also had clearance issues with the guard bracket)
20140723_172818.jpg
20140723_172853.jpg
Too bad to, the Wald stamp was standing tall!

Sooo, back to the drawing board. Decided to use some of the original tubing I cut (I never throw anything away!) out of her to make some fish mouth joints. I mocked it up with zip ties, but will find some crusty old radiator hose clamps to secure it with.
20140723_174414.jpg

Latest posts

Back