Sex change for the Evans Colson. "Hombre" Done! Estodo!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've had this Evans Colson girls bike taking up space in the garage for a long time. Two reasons I've kept it; the ride is incredibly smooth and the patina is too cool. I've decided to make a gender change and wanted some opinions from you guys.
20140221_165034.jpg

Here are a few options for the bar design.
2014-06-02 14.34.59.jpg

2014-06-02 14.29.40.jpg

2014-06-02 14.28.35.jpg

2014-06-02 14.27.48.jpg

Thank you and go.

Last edited:
Got some apes on order, no fenders, probably leave the patina, but may paint it if the right color comes to mind. I have a couple of unique headbadge's that I'll decide upon once it's finished. This will be my first real ratty ride.

Thanks for the help guys, I've decided on the #2 style. Maybe bend some steel this week and get it mocked up. Anyone have feedback on the Chopper bars in the Rat Rod store? Ordered a set last night. I'm 5'8" so I think that size would suit me better than the Daytona bars.

For what it's worth and JMHO... Might be a little late to the party:crazy:
If you're performing gender reassignment surgery why not go a little more radical versus more conventional lines... subtle though. Rather than taking the lower tube to a "DX" line how about taking the wider space from the top tube to the rear rear rather than the front...

Of course if you have it all cut already:rolleyes: I still got to play around in photoshop
Either way it's still gonna look cooler than riding around on a girls bike!

Nice Project. Where do you pick up the pipe and what wall did you use?

Since I got this bike as a freebie, my goal for the build was to not actually buy anything for this project. For the top bar, I found a used 1" o.d. bumper bar from one of the race cars in the scrap bin at work. The bottom bar was scavenged from this old Sears frame that was cracked along the bottom bracket. Not sure of wall thickness.
20140606_130005.jpg

Last edited:
OK! I am digging the way that lower tube falls in line with that upper rear stay piece!

Anybody have any idea what this would cost to have done at a welding shop... ballpark it, I know there's a lot of variables. It's jut hard to weld in an apartment, heck it's rough keeping more than two frames sitting around! Gotta hang'em on the walls and tell friends they're art pieces:crazy:

For what it's worth and JMHO... Might be a little late to the party:crazy:
If you're performing gender reassignment surgery why not go a little more radical versus more conventional lines... subtle though. Rather than taking the lower tube to a "DX" line how about taking the wider space from the top tube to the rear rear rather than the front...

Of course if you have it all cut already:rolleyes: I still got to play around in photoshop
Either way it's still gonna look cooler than riding around on a girls bike!

You get the "late to the party" award! Haha. I had to look twice at you post because the first thing I focused on was my bike in the photo shopped pic. What a trip! IT'S cool and different, kind of reminiscent of a Space liner design, which I don't really care for for some reason. (I may be the only one)

OK! I am digging the way that lower tube falls in line with that upper rear stay piece!

Anybody have any idea what this would cost to have done at a welding shop... ballpark it, I know there's a lot of variables. It's jut hard to weld in an apartment, heck it's rough keeping more than two frames sitting around! Gotta hang'em on the walls and tell friends they're art pieces:crazy:

Hey Mike, it's the cutting, fitting prep etc that will cost you. Pricing, I have no idea. Im sure there are members here that can weigh in. A hack saw and a couple files are your friend. If you can cut, bend, and fit the tubing, it shouldn't be too awful much to have someone weld it for you.

Last edited:
You get the "late to the party" award! Haha. I had to look twice at you post because the first thing I focused on was my bike in the photo shopped pic. What a trip! IT'S cool and different, kind of reminiscent of a Space liner design, which I don't really care for for some reason. (I may be the only one)
Well I gotta admit, I hadn't noticed that bulky upper rear stay until I saw the close up pics. Taking just that one little aspect into consideration, I really like where you took it, nice fluid lines... otherwise that rear stay piece would have just been hanging there.
You're not alone on the spaceliner's, not really my cup of tea either... I mean you wanna give me one I'll take it, just don't think I'd ever actively pursue one.
As far as the welding prices go, I guess I should just get off my lazy butt and hit a couple local shops rather than waiting till I need some welding done...

Latest posts

Back