Shelby 20" Tank Bike Find (Pig Bike)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Closest bike I can find to mine.

Anyone know how to date a Shelby?

Sorry , Dated a Shelly once ! but never A Shelby :wink:

lol! :D

Another thing I found is the spokes are tapered like the Murray bikes.

Looks similar the that Shelby, but yours appears to be a 1954 Cleveland Welding bike, hence the 54 with the W inside the C

Nightrider said:
Looks similar the that Shelby, but yours appears to be a 1954 Cleveland Welding bike, hence the 54 with the W inside the C

Both the bike in this thread and the blue bike pictured are AMF/CWC built Shelby's rather than true Shelby Ohio Shelby's. AMF purchased Shelby in late 1953/early 1954 and moved production to the AMF owned CWC plant in Cleveland. In doing so the Old Shelby pattern frames were dropped and new models were produced on modified AMF/CWC pattern frames. The serial number on the red bike translates to a 1954 build and the blue bike is probably also from 1954 or 55. The blue bike has been restored and appears to have been built with correct parts but the blue theme has been taken to a custom level.

rms37 said:
Nightrider said:

Both the bike in this thread and the blue bike pictured are AMF/CWC built Shelby's rather than true Shelby Ohio Shelby's. AMF purchased Shelby in late 1953/early 1954 and moved production to the AMF owned CWC plant in Cleveland. In doing so the Old Shelby pattern frames were dropped and new models were produced on modified AMF/CWC pattern frames. The serial number on the red bike translates to a 1954 build and the blue bike is probably also from 1954 or 55. The blue bike has been restored and appears to have been built with correct parts but the blue theme has been taken to a custom level.
Thats some great information! My first time hearing this. Both bikes are pretty cool.
Johnny

Thanks for the info. May end up some what of a Shelby Clone anyway. :D

Is this the same bike rarebmx found a week or so back?...P 8)

Those are skip tooth spokes, very rare! :D

I need a Shelby guard even if from a 24 or a 26" model. May also badge as a Shelby :D

I have not cleaned the paint up yet. Just left it ratty. Spoked the rims, added some Muscle and batteries to the horn tank! Rollin 8)

Latest posts

Back