Shelby Hiawatha Arrow 'Regrestoration'

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be pinstriping the straw color tomorrow on the chain guard and the rack.

But before I scuff and stripe the chain guard I thought it would be interesting to take some side by side photos comparing the old and new.
IMG_2284.JPG
IMG_2288.JPG
Old and New.jpg

The pinstriping is finished.
I first scuffed the paint with a Scotch-Brite pad and then mixed some OneShot enamel to match the straw color.
IMG_2310.JPG

This should be the last of the paint before it gets loaded into the time machine!:banana:

Rubbed in a light coat of boiled linseed oil on the fender braces. Love the way they look!
IMG_2321.JPG

Started reinstalling them on the fenders. See anything wrong with this?
IMG_2329 (2).JPG

A couple of weeks ago I did a test piece using some new techniques that I'll be using on the Shelby. I decided to do a sort of "blind taste test" to see if it was realistic enough to go unnoticed. Apparently it was.:)

Back on May 28 I posted some pictures of what I called inspiration pics. But the blue Shelby guard in the pics was actually my test piece. Since no one caught it, I posted it again last week on June 3 as a side by side comparison of 'old and new'. But I didn't tell the whole story. What looked like new was the freshly painted 80+ year old guard for this bike. The other was a one month old fiberglass reproduction with a 2 week old paint job!
IMG_2271 (2).JPG
Old and New.jpg

Thanks everyone for not noticing!

A couple of weeks ago I did a test piece using some new techniques that I'll be using on the Shelby. I decided to do a sort of "blind taste test" to see if it was realistic enough to go unnoticed. Apparently it was.:)

Back on May 28 I posted some pictures of what I called inspiration pics. But the blue Shelby guard in the pics was actually my test piece. Since no one caught it, I posted it again last week on June 3 as a side by side comparison of 'old and new'. But I didn't tell the whole story. What looked like new was the freshly painted 80+ year old guard for this bike. The other was a one month old fiberglass reproduction with a 2 week old paint job!
View attachment 124963View attachment 124964
Thanks everyone for not noticing!
that's not possible

Little by little.
Been assembling all of the parts so that I can start getting the full picture on the aging process.

Good example; this fender ornament doesn't quite look at home yet. But it will!
IMG_2358.JPG

It's getting exciting!

Sorry to blow up your notifications with likes, but I hadn't stepped through your build thread until now. I've followed the progress on your FB posts, but feel ashamed that I only now saw your thread.

WOW!!!! The (almost) finished product is amazing, but it's always great to see the steps you go through. The parts came out great and the paint is superb! Just the right amount of aging. I've always felt that Shelby paint schemes, darts, and stripes are some of the best laid out designs in the bike world. You truly did them justice.

Latest posts

Back