Shelby Hiawatha Arrow 'Regrestoration'

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! Awesome work!

Got the front fender mended.
First, someone had drilled a hole at the rear. Maybe for a mud flap. Who knows? Anyway, it's gone now!
IMG_2094.JPG
IMG_2107.JPG

Next up is that dime size hole where it bolts to the fork.
I cut a plug from an old scrap piece of another fender to get the same guage metal. I went ahead and shaped it to fit the slot also just to have a better way to hold it in place.
IMG_2100 (2).JPG

Used some tape to hold it long enough for a couple of tack welds.
IMG_2101.JPG

Bead blasted it one more time before welding it in. TIG welding requires very clean surfaces.
IMG_2102.JPG

Forgot to stop for a picture after it was welded in. :( The extra hole was welded up also.
Here it is after sanding and cuting the slot.
IMG_2105.JPG

Word to the wise... when dealing with 80+ year old parts, check everything closely before assuming everything is fine!

I got very lucky that a mounting bracket gave up it's secrets well before any paint work and final assembly began. While contentedly sanding away on one of the tank halves, the front mounting bracket casually and without a sound simply fell off! I'm thinking this was initiated by the shipping damage and finally let go with a little pressure and shaking back and forth during the sanding. At first I was upset that it broke but quickly changed to grateful that it broke now and not later!

You can clearly see the original spot weld. This was very helpfull later to locate the correct placement.
IMG_2143.JPG

I carefully transfered the mounting holes from the left tank half and made a jig for welding it back in place. Having three mounting points made it simple to line up.
IMG_2147.JPG

Took it to a professional to have it brazed back in.
IMG_2144.JPG

Back to where it started!
IMG_2148.JPG

Now I can resume paint prep.

ok NOW I have to make one of these. You built these to paint rims/wheels I think, but I love this idea for frames, I am always frustrated with trying to spray at different angles successfully. Has a certain egyptian look to it with that frame in the triangle...eye of horus
View attachment 118575
That does look reminiscent with the frame in it.

With the bike frame, I also added a couple of small things that you'll be interested in. To keep the baling wire from interfering with anything on the outside of the frame, I made a little spreader bar to go through the BB.
IMG_2172.JPG

Also, the seat post has a slot on the back that the wire wanted to find, so I slipped the wire through a small piece of tubing to create a barrier.
IMG_2173.JPG

In the end there is no surface (including the edges where bearing cups fit into the frame) that the paint is blocked. And you can handle it while it's wet to turn it to most any position and also immediately walk it inside if you paint outside like I sometimes do. :)

I finally got all of the parts together to make sure there are no issues or surprises.
100_7412.JPG
100_7413.JPG
100_7414.JPG
100_7419.JPG
100_7420.JPG
100_7421.JPG

Everything checked out without any problems! Time to take it back apart and get it ready for some paint. :)

Had a set back on painting this week. Thankfully I caught a potential big mistake before it happened.

I'm learning a little more every day about Shelby bikes. (Something I knew nothing about before starting this project.)
So it turns out that the front fender must have came from a Shelby Supreme. The mistery of the large hole was apparently the first clue. After someone over at the cabe suggested that it was there for a shockease fork, that seemed to make sense. But that's not where the story ends.

Even though I had assembled all of the tin on the bike to check for any issues before paint, it didn't occur to me to bolt up the fender ornament. Then while giving everything a final wet sand I luckily noticed that the holes were in the wrong place. They were located further back for a headlight. A quick google search confirmed that it had to be a Shelby Supreme fender.
These are the holes in question...
wrong holes.jpg

Anyway, being that this is not one of those anal retentive type of builds where only an exact match is acceptable, it just meant that more holes needed to be drilled and others welded shut. (That would've been much easier when I took it to my welder the first time and before any body work.) Doh!

So off with the primer, weld the holes and start body work over again.
IMG_2227 (2).JPG

IMG_2237.JPG

Last edited:
The saga continues...

When I marked the center line for the fender ornament holes, it measured correctly but looked off center. I double checked twice and the measurements were dead center but still looked wrong. Then after closer inspection from the underside the problem was revealed.

Maybe this fender was made on a Friday near quiting time or maybe Shelby had very liberal tolerances. Either way, it somehow made it out of the factory with the nose profile cut extremely out of alignment!

This tape marks where the sides intersect with the nose radius. :13:
IMG_2231.JPG

I taped off the correct radius copied from a good fender.
IMG_2233.JPG

And proceeded to cut it off.
IMG_2236.JPG

...and finally got it back in primer today. :)
IMG_2241.JPG

I spent the holiday weekend painting! Got all of the parts painted front and back. Next up will be masking and painting the graphics.

I took everything thing outside to lounge around in the sun all day yesterday.
IMG_2251.JPG

It's all nice and shiny ...for now.
IMG_2249.JPG

I still have to mask-off and paint the graphics on the frame, fork and fenders this weekend.
But meanwhile I have been studying some patina to get a feel for where the paint is heading next.

Here's some inspiration pics.
IMG_2271 (2).JPG
IMG_2260.JPG
IMG_2261.JPG
IMG_2263.JPG
IMG_2266.JPG

The graphics are done.
Barring any unforeseen problems, I'm hoping that I have cleaned my paint gun for the last time on this project!
IMG_2276.JPG
IMG_2280.JPG

Pinstripes are next on deck.

Last edited:
@Starnger it's a combination of masking and freehand using OneShot enamel with a small lettering quill. The paint is gloss single stage automotive paint but has been scuffed with a Scotch pad. It will not get a clear coat.

From here it will be time traveling to acquire a 'seasoned' finish!:)
time machine.jpg

Latest posts

Back