Shiny Sierra 82-17

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swampthing

Rusty and broken, Still rolling.
Pro Member
Reaction score
RRBO16 was my first and I did a complete rust job. This year I’m looking for the opposite. I took an unknown salvaged frame and with parts that I scavenged or got from other RR peeps I built a functional bike. It is fun to ride and play with but the toe strike is annoying and it’s a bit twitchy so not good for long relaxing rides.
for this one I have acquired a chrome frame 1982 (?) KHS Sierra. It should get mailed to me at the end of this week. I’ll photograph the unboxing. Once I see the frame in person I’ll get some inspiration but based on the frame I’m leaning towards a klunker, or something. Maybe I can some nice fat tires on it and use it as a commuter for my alternate route to work which is 10 miles of dirt levee road and 1 mile of a terribly soft sugar sand shortcut.

Klunker builds rank as one of my top two favs to build! Will be watching your work on this vintage mtb frame!

RaT oN... and welcome back to the fray, @Swampthing !

Thanks!
Getting excited
The frame hasn’t even been shipped yet and I haven’t decided on what kind of bars to use, and I stayed up late googling for tires and grips and …
My short list has fat franks, Maxxis DTH, and Holy Rollers. I ride a pretty even mix of hard pack, overgrown levee road, soft sand, crappy roads, and the occasional weird stretch of smooth pavement. Lots of puddles.

@Swampthing , I have always like the Kenda K-Rad for a klunker application. And they come in a 2.5 width as well.

JBI.bike is a wholesaler that most local bike shops work with around the country. There is a warehouse in 11 locations, including one in Florida. You can't purchase them outside of shop, but they can order for you and pick up there. Here is the link to the page I opened up on their website, open to the public - just can't see the prices:

https://www.jbi.bike/site/search_us...n#TIRES_CLINCHER_26in&dval=yes&usd2chk=26x2.5
Click products - select the category - then select options to type of tire, clincher in your case - then 26" - then on the left side menu bar you can select specific brands or sizes - I went to 26 x 2.5.

At the bottom of that page, I also like the Sandy Beach, which is a nice big tire. Not as 'off road' though as the K-Rad.

Kenda K Rad.jpg

Let me know if you need any more info. JBI.bike has some great 'old school' parts and accessories for our hobby!

Looking forward to the unboxing pics

Ok. This thing was packaged and shipped with care. Great seller.
it may have been made when I was in high school. But man it is shiny. Now I’m going to have to think about components. Do as much bare metal as possible? Polish and shine everything? Go black, or red, or both?
AF404D01-29AA-42B5-A9F5-07CB67D9DE96.jpeg
18C32180-3023-472A-9197-913A4E0B7973.jpeg
20F6ADC7-002A-4CD5-AB5D-48537D335052.jpeg
A0022DD2-6488-4AB0-BD15-E868419E087B.jpeg
C898239B-F218-47A8-B6D5-C60A27744EBE.jpeg

Attachments

• E89FE1D6-CB4B-4FE5-8458-FF3760CB9BB2.jpeg
    E89FE1D6-CB4B-4FE5-8458-FF3760CB9BB2.jpeg
    897.4 KB · Views: 17
I’m not sure for the long run.
for now I’ll take the red wheels off of my last build and figure out what size seat post and seat.
then it’s headset, stem and bars.
I have two possible stems, and a set of bull moose bars with a built in stem.
this one will probably end up with every shiny thing I can find on it.
it will be the opposite of my last bike.

Yea. That’s nice.
I have a silver BMX stem and I’ll try that with some BMX bars I have.
I will see if that is a more comfortable ride than the bullmoose bars. As is, the ride may be too similar to my Haro Escape and since this frame will accommodate fatter tires, it does make sense to go the low gear fat tire route.

Latest posts

Back