Shoe polish on bare metal?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just used the aircraft remover to strip the frame on my Schwinn Delmar, and I was thinking it would be cool to rub kiwi shoe polish into the metal and then clear coat it. Has anyone ever tried this? Do you have any tips or tricks? If you have done it, do you have pics of what it looks like?

Anything helps!

Thanks.

Sounds interesting, but I don't think the paint would stick to the shoe polish, it's like grease.

I thought about that also, but wasn't sure if the shoe polish would actually dry and then accept the clear coat. Also I was wondering if after the shoe polish dries if it would rub off easily. Then I wouldn't need a clear coat. My goal is to end up with a dark finish without using paint. (other than clear coat) I think it would look more ratrod and not so typical as just painting it flat black. I like the bare metal look, but Mine is a little light for my taste.

Thanks for the link udallcustombikes!

Hooch do you have any tips on how to do this? I noticed that your final pics of the NOG deathbuggy looked painted. Did the shoepolish end up not working?

Thanks.

If you don't just try it you will never know! You may find the outcome to be exactly what you are looking for. If not, it may turn into an unexpected pleasant surprise. If not, than strip and start over. No big deal, Ya gotta have some eggs my fellow builder!

I'm going to try it, probably next weekend. I am currently working to two jobs, so I don't have a ton of time during the week. I'm just at work right now so I thought it might be worth it to get some tips from someone who has done it before.

I'll post pics as I go

thanks guys

something you can try and is used alot in faux painting is to use paint mixed into a glaze. The proportion of paint to glaze is up to you. Usually the less paint the better then you can either rub it on or dab it on. Even painting it on then rubbing some of it off works well. Then clear coat.

I recently stripped mine down to bare metal and cleared it. Obviously the clear clouded on me and looked horrible. I restripped and then rubbed it with WD40 and I'm very happy. In my area its not that humid so I only need to rub it down once every couple weeks. It may not be the look your after but its my two cents on treating bare metal. I hope this helps someone.
f489ca11.jpg

Latest posts

Back