Shogun 400 Road Bike.....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked this up 2 days ago. Shogun 400 12 Speed (Champion #2 frame).
Only thing I had to do was replace front tire. Guy bought it new in early 80's...
think it's an '82. Cleaned up but really didn't need it...rides great! Excellent condition.
Picked up for $35 .......could not pass it up! Included pump, Cannondale seat bag
and a heavy kryptonite lock/cable and bell.
sg1.jpg
sg2.jpg
sg3.jpg
sg4.jpg
sg7.jpg
sg8.jpg
sg9.jpg

Want to bring the bars up higher but they are at the max. What extender do I need?
I think there is enough play in the cables.....

Karate.....what about a quill extender? Think it might be easier. Do you know if I would need
a 22.2mm or a 25.4mm? Want to raise about 2 or 3 inches.....head tube is 4 inches.
Trying to figure out what size quill to get if I do it. Already past max height.....
q1.jpg

Last edited:
I believe the Nitto Technomic Long Stem, KCI suggested, can give you the height you need. Just looking at Amazon took me to one stem that was 300mm (11.8") long. Your stem needs to be measured across the quill. The quill is the part that goes down into your fork tube and clamps. You need to measure the diameter of your handlebar where the stem clamps it. Handlebars can be smaller diameter except at the clamp area. Use a caliper to measure. I get cheap plastic calipers at Harbor Freight and they work fine. You are looking for four things. Quill diameter, handlebar clamp diameter, total height needed including max height, and length of stem forward. Stem forward length is measured from center of quill to center of handlebar clamp. If you like the length of your present stem then an extender may actually be the simplest thing to do. You only need to know the quill diameter. Good luck.

Technomic Long is about the quill length and will give you the height you need, just as Tallbikeman stated. The stem you have on there looks to be 60mm long (from the center of the quill to the center of the bars). Every Shogun I have worked on has had a 22.2mm quill and the OE SR stem you have on it currently is not "stepped", as SR 21.1mm quill stems are normally stepped down from 22.2 to 21.1. Measure your quill and stem length to be sure, then get the Technomic long. Adapters are a last resort, IMO and the Technomic offerings from Nitto are solid.

Again, if you plan on keeping and riding your Shogun on the pavement, switch to the aforementioned Panaracer Pasela 27x1 tires. The rolling resistance of the tires currently on it does not compare. I've been riding ISO630 tires on pavement and dirt since 2005 and nothing else manufactured in ISO630 anymore comes close to the Paselas.

Technomic Long is about the quill length and will give you the height you need, just as Tallbikeman stated. The stem you have on there looks to be 60mm long (from the center of the quill to the center of the bars). Every Shogun I have worked on has had a 22.2mm quill and the OE SR stem you have on it currently is not "stepped", as SR 21.1mm quill stems are normally stepped down from 22.2 to 21.1. Measure your quill and stem length to be sure, then get the Technomic long. Adapters are a last resort, IMO and the Technomic offerings from Nitto are solid.

Again, if you plan on keeping and riding your Shogun on the pavement, switch to the aforementioned Panaracer Pasela 27x1 tires. The rolling resistance of the tires currently on it does not compare. I've been riding ISO630 tires on pavement and dirt since 2005 and nothing else manufactured in ISO630 anymore comes close to the Paselas.
Thanks KC!

Looks like I got the wrong one!!!

• Aluminum Threadless Stem Adapter (For A-Head)
  • Size: 28.6mm (Upper part) tap down to 22.2mm (Lower part)
  • Converts 22.2mm/ 0.87" (inside of the threaded fork) to 28.6mm /1-1/8" threadless
  • Converts 1" (outer dia of threaded fork / inside dia 22.2mm/0.87") to 28.6mm/1-1/8" threadless
  • Aluminum Alloy
  • Color: Silver
  • Weight: 155 grams (+- 10 g)
  • Length: 150mm
  • Quantity: 1 pcs
  • Made in Taiwan
sta1.jpg

Latest posts

Back