show off your garage / shed / shop

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually it's my cell phone , the lens is scuffed up :| And thanx "Justin" for getting on the band wagon :roll:

Ralph

A.S.BOLTNUT said:
Actually it's my cell phone , the lens is scuffed up :| And thanx "Justin" for getting on the band wagon :roll:

Happy to help Ralph, seriously, if you need a digital camera, PM me, I've got a hook up. :wink:

This is the work area:

8347647703_65d651a825.jpg

And this is the clean room / storage area

8347647173_552b6d0b0b.jpg

A.S.BOLTNUT said:

Ralph
I wonder if one of those headlight restoration kits would fix that...

Not much but here she is! It's a decent garage for an urban type town! We recently painted her, fixed her up and put gutters on her. Next is to redo the inside!
0F136BF4-E83C-4F8C-BE08-0EE6182AB69E-18427-000018BC65C31EBE.jpg

outskirtscustoms said:
A.S.BOLTNUT said:

Ralph
I wonder if one of those headlight restoration kits would fix that...

I was wondering about that myself ?

CCR said:
Vintagebikelover24 said:
Not much but here she is!

Looks like an awesome spot to tinker around !

It's better than nothing! Lol and I'm sure glad I have a place to work in.

Thought I would post some photos of my workspace in the basement. It works but someday I would love a garage or pole barn... something on ground level because it's cool till you have to haul a heavy cruiser or tandem up the stairs :lol: but it is a heated basement so it works nice for the michigan winters :) but yeah it has taken over... quite the sickness haha!

on the way down
DSC07576_zps819d026d.jpg

my bmx corner
DSC07602_zps8bb149bc.jpg

parts pile
DSC07603_zps79233375.jpg

DSC07605_zpsa6d9a719.jpg

DSC07606_zps9184d845.jpg

DSC07608_zpsde3b9da1.jpg

DSC07609_zps7e78b618.jpg

DSC07610_zpsb98a6955.jpg

work area
DSC07611_zpsfebd2c54.jpg

work area
DSC07612_zpsc4bb1d90.jpg

work area
DSC07613_zps91610bdd.jpg

Great looking setup! Lots of bikes and stuff in there but looks very organized!

A place for everything and everything in it's place. 8)

Installed the "harbor freight" $10 bike hoist yesterday. I still have some tweaking to do. As the bikes don't fit through the loft opening without hitting the rear & front fenders. Not sure what I has thinking but, the storage sq. footage was the key, I guess. :shock:

Because the bike has to be grabbed from the side to safely negotiate the placement on the loft deck, this is the only way the hoist can be mounted. Turning the Hbars so the the front wheel is perpendicular to the frame is the only way it will almost clear the opening.
Also, because the bike hoist is about 3" over the opening of the loft floor, I realized the poorly designed grab hooks of the pulley mechanism creates an unsafe way to secure the bike from such a tight angle, that the hooks slide off the bike.
So I had to improvise and design a looped harness to lasso the seat and Hbars stem and then using a caribeener hook to secure to the hoist. Then the bike can be grabbed and slung over to the opening without fear of the bike falling off the hoist hooks.
Primitive but, it works.
I also realized the loft floor seemed to want to sag with all the weight form the bikes and me that, I had to install a support beam for better stability. Still no railing installed but, it's obvious I should have one.

JD

pu9ara4a.jpg

tehy3umy.jpg

Looks like you're getting it figured out.

In the last town I lived in there was a Roses (kind of an older department store for those that didn't grow up with one) but the ones that exist nowadays are more like a dumping ground for 2nd quality, overstock, etc... Anyway, they had LOTS of those bike hoists for $10 each. I had a high ceiling in my garage and I bought one when they went down to $5 on clearance. Months down the road my friend came in from out of town and bought 3 at the $5 price, it was a good deal. Then months later I walked in the store and they had a clearance table up front with the last few of those hoists for .75 cents each. :shock: I bought 2, but had nothing to do with them. A few months ago I gave them to my dad to hang some new bikes in their garage.

They are pretty neat.

Here's an idea, I mounted my hoist on a piece of 1x4 and then attached that to the ceiling. What if you mounted the hoist to a piece of wood and that piece of wood to some sort of slider so that you can position the bike to fit through the hole the long way (no interference) and then go up there and slide it over to where you can grab it easily. That would also allow you to have a smaller opening in your railing for the bike to go through.

Interesting slider tract idea. Hmmmm
I was actually thinking of a gimbal swivel concept. But a locking two tract idea might work. Not good with fabrication so finding the already manufactured idea would be a challenge.
Hoist the bike up then swivel and then slide on the tract to the loft....hmmmm

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

:shock: im jealous ! some killer shops here !
i work on the floor in a tiny corner of the basement during the winter( non heated ).
during the summer my " shop " is the driveway , in inclement weather during the summer i move one of the cars out.
so basically i have to " set up " and " clean up " every time i get to tinkering.
someday ill have a cool man town garage :D

Still a work in progress but this is my garage shop.
S2400014.JPG

Put some good old school Technics speakers up by the ceiling.
S2400011.JPG

Huge angle brackets were part of a scrapped store potato chip rack !
S2400020.JPG

Receiver hooked to old Dell pc rocking Windows7 and AIMP mp3 player.
S2400019.JPG

Latest posts

Back