Show Us Your Boats

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
55ColumbiaBuilt has a thread here http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=33360 . It got me to thinking about my old boat which I just dug up some photos of. It's to bad he didn't start a SHOW US YOUR BOATS thread, he really started it for me. So here it is I hope 55ColumbiaBuilt adds to this as well as you other boat heads, it would be great to see other boat builds as well as the boats that had been Ratted out.

Mine here is twenty feet long with a fifteen foot bottom 34 inches inside and 5 foot eight at the widest. It floats in 3 inches of water empty and if pushed fast enough can be launched over wet grass. Heres some pictures

The Cape Cod Viking Rowing Club at the Town Cove before a club row out to the Nauset Inlet. Me in the center but I hooked on someones empty mooring and everyone clung to me like puppies
NAUSET3.jpg

My favorite picture of both sails cleated and working on a hot summers breeze in Pleasant Bay Orleans. The mainsail is a sprit rig with a loose footed boom and the smaller mizzen a sprit leg of mutten.
DSAIL2.jpg

Out on the Cape Cod Bay in Dennis
http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt198/Graylock_photos/YAWL1.jpg

This one out on the bay by the old target ship using the hull as a sail
http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt198/Graylock_photos/PETE1.jpg

Me in the Atlantic outside the Nauset Inlet getting ready to surf one in.
http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt198/Graylock_photos/NAUSET1.jpg

This 20' Grand Banks Dory was made all by me out of plywood on Locust frames I cut out of logs here on the Cape. The Stem (bow) was made out of a 8'' locust log, sided and moulded from the natural curve in it. The thole pins (oarlocks) and blocks were made out of locust I robbed from my dads firewood pile, I still have a bucket of thole pins left. The oars were from Lunenberg Nova Scotia that were 9' long. I made the masts, booms, and sprits out of fir and spruce. A lady in Harwich made my sails to my specs. I have slept on it many times out on the bay. It has raced in the Atlantic many times, out of Boston twice. As a true dory can of this size it could hold over a ton of fish.
Both me and the dory became wore out, I ride bicycles for my health now while she just lies peacefully and gracefully rotting away. It's what old dories do. I have my pictures and some remaining parts, a wall full plaques and trophies, and fond memories.

Show us yours

Graylock

My 3rd boat, Water Sking and relaxing on the lake. 1995 Blue Water Pro Am Skier. 20' 350 Chevy.
S5000030.jpg

Sold my 26 ft. Starcraft, got tired of all the up keep and expense, and bought this (20 years ago). It's an 18ft fiberglass Folbot (non folding), only made for 1 year. Hanging in the cellar right now.......Have a 16ft Lund also, can't find any pics.

Check out the "ratty" patch.........Repairs on the fly.
001-26.jpg

YAY! I love boats!! here our current one. its a 71 Wards Seaking (made by Wizard in so-cal) with a 1960 E-rude 40 horse. we got it for $200!! needed a bit of work tho... :roll:

bad.jpg

bad1.jpg

carbon fiber reinforced even...

woodie1.jpg

there's the deck laying on the lawn to the right.. :p

woodie2.jpg

fully rebuilt power head and fresh paint!!

lark-240.jpg

lark40-1.jpg

sk6.jpg

sk5.jpg

sk4.jpg

IMGP4705.jpg

The "Triple Threat", my homemade trimaran, made from a hobie 16 and a Gcat 5.7 Cat. It's mostly Hobie16, with a hull from the Gcat mounted in the middle. It's 20 feet long and I plan to get it back on the water as soon as I get home from the Philippines.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=13232&p=133152&hilit=hobie+16#p133152

Wildcat said:
The "Triple Threat", my homemade trimaran, made from a hobie 16 and a Gcat 5.7 Cat. It's mostly Hobie16, with a hull from the Gcat mounted in the middle. It's 20 feet long and I plan to get it back on the water as soon as I get home from the Philippines.

scrumblero said:
YAY! I love boats!! here our current one. its a 71 Wards Seaking (made by Wizard in so-cal) with a 1960 E-rude 40 horse. we got it for $200!! needed a bit of work tho... :roll:

Now that's what I'm talking about. My hats off to the Rats. Nice job both of them.

KOTA ............ Got Hair ? Nice find, not many of those around.

Sinner4 that is one powerful skiboat....must pull two skiers like they wern't there.

I dug up a photo of mine that was published in Wooden Boat Magazine in issue #108 in the new launching section. The picture is 20 years ago of daughter Beki the Swing Bike Queen when she was 6 years old. The boat was a stripper built Henry Rushton's Sairy Gamp weighing 20 lbs. It is 9' long and 26" wide made from leftover stuff from another canoe build. Ended up costing $25 to finish it up. When I use it I sit on the bottom an single blade it. Most people roll it over when they try it. This is because they are chewing only one stick of gum instead of one stick in both sides of their mouth. :lol: Or they were talking to much when they paddle :shock:

SadieFlint1.jpg

Graylock

Mine is a 1997 Glastron 205 fish n ski. its 20' and powered by a Volvo-penta 5.7 (350 chevy) will run out at 60mph.

boat6-1.jpg

I bought it something like six years ago and have added a motor-guide bow mount trolling motor, dual troller batteries, Lowrance fishfinder, Minn-Kota on board charger. We go to Table rock lake every year for vacation, and the boat fits us perfect, it does everything we want it to... setup for fishing, or pulling the kids on tubes and wakeboards, or just cruising. Its a lot of fun, and really havent had anything major go wrong with it, Ive only got around 150 hours on it, had 70 on it when we bought it.

the best part... its paid off!

09tablerock.jpg

My oldest son with a nice Kentucky bass, from last year

Cant' find any good pics but here is my 1991 Ski Nautique by Correct Craft. It was purchased new by my parents and has been used well. I still make it waterskiing 1-2 times a week when the water is good.

9318_1181984784055_1061260061_30613907_699114_n.jpg

9318_1181984904058_1061260061_30613908_2007980_n.jpg

Best pic I have from the boat. Water skiing 2 years ago.

5016_95563662444_568312444_1909501_418644_n.jpg

3593387.jpg

She has been tied to the pier right where you see her for 28 years. To trailer the boat would allow the wood to dry, shrink, and "open up". That is, the joints where the parts come together would seperate and leak. The boat does get trailered for about three days every year. At that time she is scraped, painted, and repaired if need be. An anti-fouling bottom paint that barnacles can't stand is applied below the waterline. While this is going on, I have the garden hose handy and keep the inside rinsed down very well...never allowed to dry out. After that, it's back into the water. Try to picture the entire creek frozen, and me standing on the ice about 20 feet behind the boat! I've done that, several times, but there has never been anyone around to take my picture. One day maybe.....

You can read about it here.

http://thebigmac.weebly.com/index.html

55ColumbiaBuilt said:
3593387.jpg

She has been tied to the pier right where you see her for 28 years. To trailer the boat would allow the wood to dry, shrink, and "open up". That is, the joints where the parts come together would seperate and leak. The boat does get trailered for about three days every year. At that time she is scraped, painted, and repaired if need be. An anti-fouling bottom paint that barnacles can't stand is applied below the waterline. While this is going on, I have the garden hose handy and keep the inside rinsed down very well...never allowed to dry out. After that, it's back into the water. Try to picture the entire creek frozen, and me standing on the ice about 20 feet behind the boat! I've done that, several times, but there has never been anyone around to take my picture. One day maybe.....

You can read about it here.

http://thebigmac.weebly.com/index.html

That is one SWEET boat! love the lines.

late 60's early 70's mandella.
28u03yh.jpg

17' with a 390 strapped to the back.
IMG_0919.jpg

it was given to me after logging in tonnes of time restoring this boat with a friend.
(also a 69 mandella

IMG_0284-1.jpg

IMG_0285-2.jpg

IMG_0288-1.jpg

IMG_0286.jpg

IMG_0288-1.jpg

IMG_0299-2.jpg

now i dont have the $30 000 that was thrown at heinylicken (he's a big heineken beer)
but i do have big plans formy rat rod lke rocket. :)

I no longer have a boat, but my webname comes from the 1979 Grady White Kingfish 254 that I restored years ago. That's a 300HP V8 outboard. Not much for speed with such a heavy boat, but it would still do 40mph and take a wave better than much bigger boats.
myboat2_zpsce9ffbb7.png

boat_zps0f7eb796.jpg

Here's my 65 Correct Craft Mustang. I'm not allowed to tinker with it till the house is done :D but I did re-trailer it this summer. just in time too, the old trailer broke in half as I was jacking it up. This will get new stringers, floors and motor at some point, and everything else...... Previous owner installed some non marine parts and caught the boat on fire, the fire dept was more than happy to sink it. With the exception of the dash shifter and wing windows all the hardware is there.

Posted earlier in the thread with this...

boat6-1.jpg

I have had my eye on a boat just down the street from me for a while now. Its a 1994 Sea Nymph powered by a 1995 Johnson 50. It has sat uncovered in the driveway for the last four years that I know of, the drain was plugged and it had filled with water several times, so it had a bunch of weeds and algae growing in it.

I ended up doing the usual... new water pump, lower unit lube, rebuild the carbs, and totally had to rebuild the fuel system with a new tank, lines, converted it to a regular fuel pump and got rid of the VRO. After tinkering with the float settings, it runs like a champ and appears to be a low time motor with excellent compression.

I added a Minn Kota trolling motor to the bow to replace the junky OMC unit it had on there, new batteries of course, A new Lowrance fish finder on the bow, and a cheapie Humminbird on the console to use when running. Also replaced the seats and added pedestal fishing seats.

I didnt know it when I bought it but after further research, the Sea Nymph is kinda like my Glastron... no wood to rot out! At any rate, I have already had it on Grand Lake in Oklahoma and Table Rock lake in Missouri, And tested it a few times at Lake Afton, Kansas... I think it was $1500 well spent.

sea-nymph_zpsb70f4f54.jpg
[/URL]

boat1_zps53d7839c.jpg
[/URL]

boat_zps63b170d7.jpg
[/URL]

Latest posts

Back