Show Your Aluminum Builds

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my 1948 Silver King Hex Tube build.

dscn0405_1.jpg

dscn0406.jpg

dscn0502.jpg

Last edited:
Tater, what tires, and what size rims are on your aluminium bike? Thanks for the info, Dave.

The tires are 24" x 3" Felt Thick Bricks and the rims are 50mm Felt cruiser rims.

This is what it is looking like right now with 24" x 3" Felt Berm Master knobbies:

DSC01553.jpg

Last edited:
Is is a bike yet? This was a Felt Slater. I've ditched the Felt wheels in favor of the fatter 3G wheels. Unfortunately, I can't use heavy duty spokes because my GT Rhythm rear hub would need to be drilled out. Hubs are already fragile so that is a no go. The bike is called "She's The Bomber." I wanted to put rivets on it but my skill set is not there yet..

I paid $350 to Astro Metal Polishing and Plating to polish the Noleen fork, frame, dual chain rings, and brake mount. I thought that was steep, so I tried it on a Proflex I had that I bought for it's Noleens. I have not been enjoying that effort and I will gladly pay another $350 to polish another cruiser. I am sure the Proflex will look good when I am finished but I can only hope that it has 1/2 the shine this thing does. If you want a comparison just look at the chrome seat post, the aluminum canteen, and the polished aluminum stem. The frame and fork outshine new aluminum stem(the canteen is not new but the stem is).

The chain guard and fenders are left-overs from a Felt Baron that is being built to mimic the blue Felt "Yale" custom that I built. Both headset and bottom brackets are sealed units. The bare metal Digital cranks are LHD/RHD and so is the hub that I am running. Sooooo, when you see two chains and two chain wheels expect them all to make it onto the bike. I don't have my chain guard situation sorted. The solution will most likely be rolling up pant legs or wearing shorts.

I will be sitting on either a Felt seat, Persons seat (pictured), or one of those cool leather seats that look like the seats from the 1930s. The bike will sport a front Sturmey-Archer drum hub and no rear brake. I have a few 8 speed cruisers if I want to go fast. The bike will run a bright LED headlight and I will likely use the torpedo light as a rear fender mounted red light. I have a couple of black number plates that I may swap for polished units once I am decent at polishing.

This puppy is being built for comfort and is intentionally flashy. The "She's The Bomb" nose art style decals are custom made. I took a cover model from an old issue of Vogue and the bomb from the F-Bomb Camaro. I Photo Shopped out the beach ball and added the smiling bomb. I am looking for a few more WWII era airplane touches. I didn't want to run Maltese cross chain rings but that is what I had 2 of. I may eventually swap them for solid aluminum units. I have had fun on this one thus far. No frustrations yet. I look forward to mounting the brand new and the newly built 3G hoops which Studio Cycle Company is building for me. I couldn't wait to see how the bike would shape up so I gathered the parts I had together for a post, and evidently a story, for your threat. Thanks, Rooski.

- Gig
0e053c9ce24d1e5bd6f606a2e1d99048.jpg
5a09c8475c845aeb7916ee22c9e05a25.jpg
a8b5e403d3d068671695287f793a51f9.jpg
af815fdbb02f7a7a38335edaaa10601b.jpg

- by Gigmata

Cant wait to see how it ends up, love it, I love shiny things!

Hey Tater & Ronark,

I've been screwin' and it shows. No bolts yet but hopefully this weekend the wheels (black) will come back
ecfa2021ce975e89a67159ff6a6601ae.jpg
fa053a3a57a0d10eb3a283dcf97da164.jpg

I do like how it is shaping up. I had to order a 22mm bottom bracket today for the cranks. I am used to the 19mm ones. I will also swing by my local shop and pick up some bolts to hold the chain wheels on. I will keep posting my progress.

- gig

- by Gigmata

Here is my future build an Electra Custom. Aluminum framed cruiser, same frame as the Rat rod steel frame. I'll try and use only aluminum parts

I like it already. I put Girvins on darn near everything. I encourage you to polish the,. The look amazing. In the future I will polish everything but the fork legs but the bike I am building here was intended to be largely polished aluminum.

- by Gigmata

Need to strip the paint from my Drifter1

Is is a bike yet? This was a Felt Slater. I've ditched the Felt wheels in favor of the fatter 3G wheels. Unfortunately, I can't use heavy duty spokes because my GT Rhythm rear hub would need to be drilled out. Hubs are already fragile so that is a no go. The bike is called "She's The Bomber." I wanted to put rivets on it but my skill set is not there yet..

I paid $350 to Astro Metal Polishing and Plating to polish the Noleen fork, frame, dual chain rings, and brake mount. I thought that was steep, so I tried it on a Proflex I had that I bought for it's Noleens. I have not been enjoying that effort and I will gladly pay another $350 to polish another cruiser. I am sure the Proflex will look good when I am finished but I can only hope that it has 1/2 the shine this thing does. If you want a comparison just look at the chrome seat post, the aluminum canteen, and the polished aluminum stem. The frame and fork outshine new aluminum stem(the canteen is not new but the stem is).

The chain guard and fenders are left-overs from a Felt Baron that is being built to mimic the blue Felt "Yale" custom that I built. Both headset and bottom brackets are sealed units. The bare metal Digital cranks are LHD/RHD and so is the hub that I am running. Sooooo, when you see two chains and two chain wheels expect them all to make it onto the bike. I don't have my chain guard situation sorted. The solution will most likely be rolling up pant legs or wearing shorts.

I will be sitting on either a Felt seat, Persons seat (pictured), or one of those cool leather seats that look like the seats from the 1930s. The bike will sport a front Sturmey-Archer drum hub and no rear brake. I have a few 8 speed cruisers if I want to go fast. The bike will run a bright LED headlight and I will likely use the torpedo light as a rear fender mounted red light. I have a couple of black number plates that I may swap for polished units once I am decent at polishing.

This puppy is being built for comfort and is intentionally flashy. The "She's The Bomb" nose art style decals are custom made. I took a cover model from an old issue of Vogue and the bomb from the F-Bomb Camaro. I Photo Shopped out the beach ball and added the smiling bomb. I am looking for a few more WWII era airplane touches. I didn't want to run Maltese cross chain rings but that is what I had 2 of. I may eventually swap them for solid aluminum units. I have had fun on this one thus far. No frustrations yet. I look forward to mounting the brand new and the newly built 3G hoops which Studio Cycle Company is building for me. I couldn't wait to see how the bike would shape up so I gathered the parts I had together for a post, and evidently a story, for your threat. Thanks, Rooski.

- Gig
0e053c9ce24d1e5bd6f606a2e1d99048.jpg
5a09c8475c845aeb7916ee22c9e05a25.jpg
a8b5e403d3d068671695287f793a51f9.jpg
af815fdbb02f7a7a38335edaaa10601b.jpg

- by Gigmata
that I some shine. looks awesome. I couldn't put a sticker on it though.

Completed build of 1936 monark silver king, repop monark spring with disk brake, nexus 7 speed igh, 3 piece unknown make splined bottom bracket, origin 8 stem, tioga bear trap headset, modified steel stem for a seat post, Kmc silver and black Chain ....

Last edited:
I just ordered two aluminum frames for my winter projects. Cant wait for them to arrive.

It also has a real tank with a cap.

Got it Thurday, hand polished with $15 bottle of White Diamond on Friday, put together Saturday.

This looks very familiar. Very familiar. What kind of frame is that? I'd like to have 5 or six just like it.

This looks very familiar. Very familiar. What kind of frame is that? I'd like to have 5 or six just like it.

I got the frames from www.phantom-bikes.com
They are very similar to Felt frames but ride alot lower. It takes a 1-1/8 inch fork. Don't cut your fork yet, it takes a longer fork than the one on a felt. I could use a Girvin fork if you have an extra for sale.... Ron

I got the frames from www.phantom-bikes.com
They are very similar to Felt frames but ride alot lower. It takes a 1-1/8 inch fork. Don't cut your fork yet, it takes a longer fork than the one on a felt. I could use a Girvin fork if you have an extra for sale.... Ron

Hey Ron,

I guess I do have one but it has a 1" steerer tube. I also have a Sinz headset which is designed to make a 1" steerer work on a 1 1/8" head tube. I am including a photo of the forks. These have a shock but no spring. They are similar but not the same as what I use on my builds. They are not the Vectors with the integrated stem.

767094a952099c37759e97597c73ce32.jpg
a51e084ef5289c3aea32b814a0af0595.jpg

The steerer tube is 8" long. Let me know if you have other questions. They just been in my kitchen not being used. I should mention that I am cooling my heels on buying these forks off ebay so everyone else can have a chance. The last pair I saw sold upwards of $220 but I got a carbon fiber one (don't bother) for $230 including shipping. They normally sell for over $375.00

- by Gigmata

Latest posts

Back