SIDEBOLT

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
010_Logo_V1.jpg

I wasn't going to make a start until I sold at least one of the four bikes I am trying to sell... then yesterday I thought “yeah... nah... just start now and see what happens”*.

I have some old 1936 Chev parts that are destined to be on a 1940's style dry lakes roadster, sort of like this...

chevy-jpg.2854311

But since that project is far off in the distant future, I thought it'd be cool to use the wheels on a bike :D

I came up with the name a while back and then started thinking of other names... ones with “ten” or relating to ten somehow, since this is build off ten. But there were a lot I liked and I just confused myself, so I decided to go with the original name... SIDEBOLT. It is a reference to “stovebolt”, which is the nickname given to old Chevrolets due to the type of bolts used on the engine side cover. Also because the wheels will be mounted from one side on single sided stays.

And now for the all important photos:

1936 Chev wheel...
000_Wheel.jpg

Here's the basic plan...
001_PlanV1.jpg

I decided that removing the brake drums would be the first task because I need to be sure that I can use them the way I want. One side was easy, the other is stuck and is going to be a pain.

Axle with one drum removed...
002_36ChevAxle.jpg

Brake...
003_36ChevBrake.jpg

Removing the brake...
004_BrakeRemove.jpg

005_BrakeRemove.jpg

Brake removed...
006_BrakeRemoved.jpg

Removing kingpin...
007_KingpinRemove.jpg

Stub and brake...
008_StubAndBrake.jpg

And a new packet of soap to wash my hands...
009_Soap.jpg

Now to attack the other side :comando:

Anyone have any advice on how to free up stuck brake drums o_O

Glen.

*Disclaimer: I have absolutely no idea if this will work and/or get finished. If you follow along, you do so at your own risk.

*Disclaimer: I have absolutely no idea if this will work and/or get finished. If you follow along, you do so at your own risk.
Well and truly worth the risk my friend!

Luke.

Wow! This thing is going to be a beast! I like the belt drive idea.

P.S. Have you been hanging out with Luke? :21:
Contemplating a Gilmer belt drive on mine too if I can find the $$'s... :21:

Luke.

did you turn the brake adjuster back ? then try to remove the drum ? This is definitely a heavy hitter for sure

The adjuster is stuck and won't budge. I shined a torch in through the access slot and I think one of the adjusting dials has a broken tooth. I'm just hoping I can get it apart and fix it so I can have 1936 Chev drum brakes front and rear.

Glen.

A bike with actual car drum brakes. That and so many other reasons have me wanting to see more.
GoGlen for BOTEN!!!

SUCCESS :dance2:

The right side brake drum has been freed.

Here is how:

Two holes were drilled in the backing plate...
011_BrakeFree.jpg

Poked this handle from my toolbox in the hole to contact the brake drum outer face and hit it with a hammer...
012_BrakeFree.jpg

It started to move...
013_BrakeFree.jpg

Slowly...
014_BrakeFree.jpg

And it was freed...
015_BrakeFreed.jpg

This picture shows one of the brake cylinders...
016_BrakeCylinder.jpg

They are both pretty stuffed, so I will need to get replacements.

I can get them from Jonesy's Garage here in NZ for $120 each (rear cylinder) which is typical of how expensive things are here. http://www.jonesys.co.nz/brakes-steering/brakes?product_id=881

A similar unit is $19.99 at this website... http://www.classicindustries.com/product/1950/truck/parts/wc46.html

So now I'll just have to see how much shipping costs are from USA :rolleyes:

Glen.

Nice work getting that drum off, surprising how useful those breaker bars can be!
I hope you can get some cheaper cylinders, I know you can get them stainless sleeved and rebuilt over here for less, I imagine it is the same there? I wonder if you could adapt something common and cheap like a Falcon one?

Luke.

Nice work getting that drum off, surprising how useful those breaker bars can be!
I hope you can get some cheaper cylinders, I know you can get them stainless sleeved and rebuilt over here for less, I imagine it is the same there? I wonder if you could adapt something common and cheap like a Falcon one?

Luke.

Breaker bar!... that's what they're called :banghead: I just couldn't remember so called it a handle :blush:

I'll keep an eye out for suitable possibilities for adaption, but they'll have to be the adjustable "huck brakes" type as opposed to "bendix" type. I think these originals are beyond repair, but I'm no expert so perhaps I'll see what a local brake shop says. :39:

Still no luck selling any of my bikes :(. I even offered Chopster to watchers of my Trade Me auction for $100... but no. I paid $70 just for the handlebar o_O.

So SIDEBOLT might not come to fruition. I don't think I have enough old bikes to use the steel from to get a decent sized frame built. It'll need a big frame to get proportions right I reckon.

Glen.

Latest posts

Back