Sidewayz Trike DONE with Video " Sold Sold Sold "

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres something ive been playing with for a bit so I figured id post it.I picked up a Zephyr trike a while back so I could use the back half on my ol Higgins and use the front half to make my Son a Dift Trike.After watchin the videos on Youtube It makes me wish I was a kid again..So heres some mach up.. BMX fork,pegs,wheel,bars,Trike down tube,reusing the rear stays for a truss,and adding a gusset bar...Ive got a 1/2" axel and im still on the fence between two different style wheels.Either Pneumatic tires inside 6" PVC couplings or wood with bearings inside 5" PVC couplings :roll: This should be like riding a Big Wheel on steroids at least downhill!Anyone else ever experiment with these?Looks like fun 8) :mrgreen:
trike2.jpg
drifttrike3.jpg
drifttrike4.jpg
drifttrike.jpg

Re: Sidewayz Trike

yeah man.. looks cool..
i wanted to build a Drift trike after some few youtube vids i saw on them.. then i realized that not only would i need a welder but id need some hills too :lol: Haha

Thanks guys this thing should be some scarry fun!I got all the pieces cut and machd up,ready to melt it all together...Then I got to dial in the rear wheels..
trike6jpg.jpg
trike7.jpg
trike8.jpg

Oy! You put on a pneumo wheel then inflate it inside the pvc coupling? Can you get those at like Home Depot? WOW! BMX fork with pegs.
Geezum, I might want to do this, it's friggin' hilly here. What are you going to use for a rear axle? Is that off the trike?

Hang it out!!! :lol: 8)

Thanks Kc and jack..I will video it for sure :mrgreen: The rear axel is a 5/8 thick rod threaded 2"on each end and 29" long it comes on my wire spools at work 4 of them squeeze the sides to the center.Every thing green is reused from the trike frame,the trailing arms are whats left of the bannana seat sissy bar and the axel gussets are 1/2" angle iron.This week Im gonna look for the couplings and start on the wheels..... 8) :mrgreen:

:shock: :D
jackdaw said:
Oy! You put on a pneumo wheel then inflate it inside the pvc coupling?

HAH! I've watched those vids and I was wondering how they did it... absolute genius. :shock: :D

Well PVCcoulplings in large sizes are PRICEY!!Either I need smaller inflatable tires or try wood with bearings .I found 6" couplings for about 10 bucks a piece but 8" they want 62 bucks each:roll: Needless to say im going with wood for now but it should work fine!!

I finally got the couplings and im glad I went with the 6" they should be just right...Time to turn them into wheels and make some progress 8) :mrgreen:
drifttrike5.jpg

Re: Sidewayz Trike "Started Melting"

Gettin Closer!!! I stripped it and got most of the welding done.I shortened the head tube a bit to fit the BMX fork.Now I need to finish making the wheels before I can weld the rear axel supports because im not sure how wide the hub will end up.If I get more time I should be able to get it rollin soon!!! 8) :mrgreen:
drifttrike6.jpg
drifttrike7.jpg

The frame is all welded except for the wheel spacers 8) :mrgreen:
drifttrike8.jpg
drifttrike9.jpg

Re: Sidewayz Trike "Almost Done"

Wood wheels?????Gonna give it a whirl 8) :mrgreen:
drifttrike10.jpg

My Son and I went for our first ride today.It was Sketchy but a whole lot of fun!!!This takes some gettin used to but sliding makes me feel like a kid again.Video coming soon 8) :mrgreen:
drifttrike13.jpg
Heres the Wood wheel inserts,1 1/4" sub floor OSB 2 pieces smashed together with a bearing on each side.Primative but Effective,I couldnt find the right size Pneumatic tires to fit in the PVC.Im going to try some different wheel combos but these work great for now.
drifttrike12.jpg
drifttrike11.jpg

Re: Sidewayz Trike "Drifting and ready to Paint"

All painted and ready to Roll!!!! My Son and I will try and talk Mama into shooting some video for us this after noon 8) :mrgreen:
drifttrike14.jpg
drifttrike15.jpg

Latest posts

Back