Silver King Unchained: BELT DRIVE....What a ride~!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Um, yeah, but that machine that did all the work? That's the REAL trick to this vid!

I have read where soaking the tires in really hot water helps soften them up a bit, and the water residue left on the inside of the tire, maybe with a little soap applied to it as well, might help it slip into place?

However it happens, I know my hands are going to hurt like H - E - double toothpicks afterwards. That's where the arthritis pills and CBD gummies come into play. :wink1:
Just need 4 big zip ties and four Clydesdale horses!

Um, yeah, but that machine that did all the work? That's the REAL trick to this vid!

I have read where soaking the tires in really hot water helps soften them up a bit, and the water residue left on the inside of the tire, maybe with a little soap applied to it as well, might help it slip into place?

However it happens, I know my hands are going to hurt like H - E - double toothpicks afterwards. That's where the arthritis pills and CBD gummies come into play. :wink1:
I've gotten them on by putting the rim in a freezer it'll cause the metal to retract a bit then hot water on the tire and soap

Father's Day RRB post. He would have enjoyed seeing what we do here.

View attachment 197542

View attachment 197541

My thanks to two RRB friends for these photos, @SwissGuy for the collage, and @The Renaissance Man for his graphic work on me and Dad and our '53s.

And to these two young men, who made me what I am today, a father. From Long Beach, California in '97 at sea level, to yesterday at 12000' in Summit County, Colorado, they have made me proud to be their father.

View attachment 197543

View attachment 197544

Happy Father's Day to all my RRB dads out there!
53 was a very good year for me. Loved your wedding trike with what I call the poofy seat. Your aluminum bike is wonderful and I like all your work on the seatpost. Good luck to the newlyweds.

53 was a very good year for me. Loved your wedding trike with what I call the poofy seat. Your aluminum bike is wonderful and I like all your work on the seatpost. Good luck to the newlyweds.
Thanks man!

I'm REALLY looking forward to the ride video of YOU on the trike!

200w.gif

We will def stage a ride vid!

Last few days I've been removing rust from the trike. A few areas were worn through the paint, but there is a lot of original, albeit faded, paint under all that surface rust.

I'm hoping he will let me either clear or linseed oil over the original and shine it up some. Other option is primer and rattle can close to original colors.

20220712_135936.jpg

20220712_135839.jpg
20220712_133436.jpg
20220712_133427.jpg
20220712_133418.jpg

And what it looked like before the de-rusting....

received_616026932926310.jpeg

Really enjoying the ride of the Silver King Unchained. Rode it to work at the bike shop today,and Steven happened to ride his 2018 Trek Zektor as well. Both are aluminum framed, belt driven,and disc brake equipped.

Only difference? About 82 years between dates of manufacture.

Only 44 years difference in riders' 'manufacture' dates.

20220713_190405.jpg

20220713_190410.jpg

20220713_190420.jpg

The younger one looks so much lighter than the older one (this holds true for the bikes as well :D ) :D
Very cool to see the two bikes together. It's always cool to see a build off bike in the wild.
Looks great OJ!

My sister and I had the same red and white tricycles as a kid.

I remember the wing/platform & the chrome rods quite well.

We didn’t have them when we got to Arizona in ‘63 so I assume my mom took then to the thrift store.

By then we were both on regular bicycles.

Last edited:
Cool pictures! Great to see that difference in bikes. I honestly can enjoy the designs and manufacturing of the older bicycles (and cars, planes etcetera). More so when there is a Silver King or for example a Elgin Twin.

Applied clear to the cleaned up trike.

20220719_094508.jpg

Very happy with the 'vintage clean' look.

Now I'm releasing the rust bound bearings from the crank mounting pieces. The '80s Stawberry Shortcake trike mounts have smaller hole diameter, trying to reuse the originals. Angle grind off the tabs, knock bearings tbrough with monster flathead driver and hand mall.

20220719_093705.jpg

20220719_093711.jpg

20220719_093941.jpg
20220719_094144.jpg

Any ideas for sealing up this hole and making these rear tires salvagable? Have a fit for front tire,but would rather not mess with these rear ones. One rear is fine, this is the only trouble spot.

20220719_094555.jpg

20220719_094600.jpg

Wrestling a new tire onto this tiny 5" rim would put me out of commission for a week!

Thanks for the ideas on the tire holes guys! I came up with one that I tried. Tomorrow I will see if it holds up and stays put.

Shot this video here in the BACK40 this afternoon. We are in the 'dog days' of summer here so short stints outdoors is all that is required.

Trikes R'(at) Us Video Update

Latest posts

Back