Silver King Unchained: BELT DRIVE....What a ride~!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day 20 Update

From the way the weather forecast looks, yesterday might have been our last warm , decent day for awhile; and we had a fairly serious hail storm around 4 pm ! No damage here at the BACK40, but just a few miles either side saw golf ball to tennis ball sized ice. Ahhhh, Minnesota....

I took advantage early of the sunny and very mild weather. A 6 a.m. trip to the garden produced a big handful of rhubarb stalks, and then this happened.

280870401_1365128417323284_6302098496860859864_n.jpg

281278150_3192195471036745_7818857268528099141_n.jpg

I grew up with a huge garden that we tended as a kid, and rhubarb was a favorite treat. This is my mom's recipe, called "Dream Dessert".

Next I continued a bit of progress on the SKU, adding some accoutrements to the build. I want to tie in the brown hued rims a bit, and the grips is one of those items. These leather ones came looking quite 'red' and with some acrylic paint and darker shoe polish, I'm getting closer to the color I want. Not there yet.
280455055_416413280036467_1027180511312915602_n.jpg

They are also 'lock on' style, and came with really shiny chrome lockers. I used my left over Metalcast Smoke Chrome paint technique to get more of a vintage chrome look. You can see the original shiny inside compared to the smoked outside of the lock rings.

280587894_3184563338473157_9143290987191728655_n.jpg

These will work well once I get the brown leather to the color I want. Then, it was late morning, and time to enjoy the fruits of my earlier labors...

280265112_695532195064368_6713313875480826142_n.jpg

RaT oN~!

that dessert looks delicious. do want.
My friend who is a native New Jersey guy, said he had never had a rhubarb dessert. I don't remember, are you native Connecticut or a Midwest transplant?

And yeah, the combination of sweet and sour in this dessert is really good!

Day 20 Update

From the way the weather forecast looks, yesterday might have been our last warm , decent day for awhile; and we had a fairly serious hail storm around 4 pm ! No damage here at the BACK40, but just a few miles either side saw golf ball to tennis ball sized ice. Ahhhh, Minnesota....

I took advantage early of the sunny and very mild weather. A 6 a.m. trip to the garden produced a big handful of rhubarb stalks, and then this happened.

View attachment 193942
View attachment 193943

I grew up with a huge garden that we tended as a kid, and rhubarb was a favorite treat. This is my mom's recipe, called "Dream Dessert".

Next I continued a bit of progress on the SKU, adding some accoutrements to the build. I want to tie in the brown hued rims a bit, and the grips is one of those items. These leather ones came looking quite 'red' and with some acrylic paint and darker shoe polish, I'm getting closer to the color I want. Not there yet.
View attachment 193945

They are also 'lock on' style, and came with really shiny chrome lockers. I used my left over Metalcast Smoke Chrome paint technique to get more of a vintage chrome look. You can see the original shiny inside compared to the smoked outside of the lock rings.

View attachment 193946

These will work well once I get the brown leather to the color I want. Then, it was late morning, and time to enjoy the fruits of my earlier labors...

View attachment 193947

RaT oN~!
Today I spent some quality time in the garden with my older kid, taking apart a few pallets to get some decent planks for my shed, having a little fire with grilled sausages an corn. And guess what we brought home after...?
Yes, lots of rhubarb! 😁
IMG_20220521_083807016.jpg

Last edited:
I want to tie in the brown hued rims a bit, and the grips is one of those items. These leather ones came looking quite 'red' and with some acrylic paint and darker shoe polish, I'm getting closer to the color I want. Not there yet.

Mrs. Job: Honey, have you been out riding your build off bike again?

Odd Job: Who? me?

img_4420small.jpg

:rofl:

Mrs. Job: Honey, have you been out riding your build off bike again?

Odd Job: Who? me?

img_4420small.jpg

:rofl:
Haven't ridden it yet with the new grips on. Still 'tinting'. I also plan to apply a shellac to them after to seal. Should take care of any 'bleed' of the color. I've also used a matte clear on acryllic painted saddles I've built. No streaks on my shorts so far; on the outside, anyway. :crazy:

Day 21 Update

Heading out this morning to the Coulee region of SW Wisconsin. Two college buddies are hanging up their respective hats,and around 20 or so of us will be helping them celebrate. So no work on SKU for the next couple days.

I did a little Rat-ification mod on the bike yesterday. Woke up thinking of a 'belt tensioner' idea, and was standing in my local hardware aisle by 8 a.m.

Two hex cap head screws (bolts), two 3/8" O.D. hex nuts to fit the drop out slot tightly, two KS terminal cable ends, two lock nuts. Fit just the way I fugured it in my head. This should help maintain belt tension, and keep the rear wheel / tire aligned in that tight rear triangle.

51KMqTsxCTL._SL1262_.jpg

received_528722048794814.jpeg

Hex cap bolt is slid in from the axle end of the cable terminal, through the inserted dropout nut, and the tensioned with the lock nut on the end of the hex cap bolt. I also used a thick axle washer on each between the frame and the cable terminal to get the bolt aligned.

20220520_122555.jpg

20220520_122543.jpg

RaT oN~!

Last edited:
Not quite understanding how it works. Does it actually tighten the belt or just keep the wheel from moving forward?

Day 20 Update

View attachment 193942
View attachment 193943

View attachment 193945

View attachment 193946

View attachment 193947

RaT oN~
Rhubarb pie as a kid. Rhubarb plant was in the chicken yard. Rhubarb thrived even with chickens pecking it. Dream desert looks yummy.

Couple of my 'keepers'. The Silver King Unchained has joined the list of my 'keeper' bikes, ones I won't sell for awhile. Favorite riders, builds that turned out well, great themes, etc.

One of those is my Shelby Flyer Woody, patterned after the woody surf wagons of the late '40s -early '50s. The 'Woody' will be my chosen transportation to and from work at ye olde shoppe today.
20220523_121300.jpg

20220523_122023.jpg

20220523_122029.jpg

20220523_122035.jpg

20220523_122050.jpg

RaT oN...RiDe oN~!

Couple of my 'keepers'. The Silver King Unchained has joined the list of my 'keeper' bikes, ones I won't sell for awhile. Favorite riders, builds that turned out well, great themes, etc.

One of those is my Shelby Flyer Woody, patterned after the woody surf wagons of the late '40s -early '50s. The 'Woody' will be my chosen transportation to and from work at ye olde shoppe today.
View attachment 194520

View attachment 194521

View attachment 194522

View attachment 194523

View attachment 194524

RaT oN...RiDe oN~!
Couldnt help but spotting the little instructables sticker on your woody. Do you publish over there as well? I go there by "Uersel"...

Couldnt help but spotting the little instructables sticker on your woody. Do you publish over there as well? I go there by "Uersel"...
Your instructables has gotten a lot of traction. I've seen it on other forums not bike related as people have shared it

Your instructables has gotten a lot of traction. I've seen it on other forums not bike related as people have shared it
Yeah, I got a lot of views since I published it and it's still on the homepage. I'm documenting a lot of my (other) work on instructables since 2008 and the next (shed) is already in the making...

Latest posts

Back