Simple chop to a cantilever frame

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's simple to do and doesn't require good welding skills or additional tubing. Cut the two cantilever tubes away from the down tube and away from the seat tube. Then using one of those ratcheting tie-down straps, wrap it around the seat tube and the rear dropouts and tightened it up until the seat tube is pulled back and resting on the rear fender/brake brace that's between the rear stays. Where all the tubing is now making contact weld it back together on the underside of the bike and then cut off the extra cantilever tubes that are now extending past the down tube. Leave the bearing cups and crank in place when manipulating the bike. The bottom bracket is the weak spot and will collapse instead of the rest of the bike bending.
It makes a subtle change in the look of the bike and gives you the option of a low-rider because it actually lowers the bike or add chopper forks long enough to get the bottom bracket back up to normal height.

2.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

Last edited:
Please, Please....Make my wife EASIER too!

just don't know what to say either. what does that have to do with bending a bike frame. oh, now i got it. take a tie down an put it around your wife an tighten till she bends, is that forward or backwards? honey, wheres my tie down straps

Outlaw :D

aka_locojoe said:
bring.doom said:
Hey this is a great tip, this will be the first thing that is done to my bike. I was trying to think of how I can run my seat further back, this seems like the antidote.
Just rememer it's more of an asthetic chop. You're shortening the bike some.

That is true, but it would also put my feet out infront a little more to wouldnt it?

bring.doom said:
aka_locojoe said:
bring.doom said:
Hey this is a great tip, this will be the first thing that is done to my bike. I was trying to think of how I can run my seat further back, this seems like the antidote.
Just rememer it's more of an asthetic chop. You're shortening the bike some.

That is true, but it would also put my feet out infront a little more to wouldnt it?

Yes but it doesn't change the distance to the crank.

aka_locojoe said:
Yes but it doesn't change the distance to the crank.

thats fine. I more or less wanted to move the pedals forward a bit so my knees wouldnt crack and pop when I rode with my seat slammed, yet wanted my seat lower and back for the sick look.

I like body chops i might try this on a 20" frame

would be a great blowfish theme bicycle

locojoe, on the pictures of the red one with the "springer", where did you get those handlebars ? I want to do the chop on my 26" but I love the look of those handlebars too, got the big "moon bars" on it now and they come too far back..

old school 64 said:
locojoe, on the pictures of the red one with the "springer", where did you get those handlebars ? I want to do the chop on my 26" but I love the look of those handlebars too, got the big "moon bars" on it now and they come too far back..

I really don't recall. Probably just pulled them out of my parts box at the time. If I had to guess I'd say they come off of some 3spd touring/lightweight Schwinn.

Latest posts

Back