Simpleton - the straightforward straightbar! - Done!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Simpleton - the straightforward straightbar!

justride said:
Loving the Klunker builds - I have a prewar DX called "Klunk" - may have to properly Klunk her out someday...

Do it! The geometry of those old frames is so perfect it isn't funny! You feel unstoppable on one of these. Here's a picture of "Big Blue" for some inspiration. I built this one in the mid-90's to conquer the mud at the Hershey car shows. It worked so well that I've been riding this thing all over the place ever since.

bigblue.jpg

I mounted the tires, got the 7 speed Nexus dialed in, and hooked up the front brake. Look! It's a bike!

IMG_1197_zps8e097d04.jpg

Front brake and SR hub detail. These were great hubs that had 1/4" bearings in them. It's dated 1984 and since the overhaul, should last another 29 years...
IMG_1201_zps55911ebc.jpg

IMG_1199_zps165e7324.jpg

The next step will be to ride it and see what does and doesn't work (and what breaks...) :roll:
IMG_1198_zpsead8b20c.jpg

I hate to say it but there may not be much more to this build. The bike rides awfully nice! I still have to do a pedal swap and I have another gold crank on order in case the current one doesn't work out.
IMG_1200_zps8c93c1ba.jpg

They're never really done though and I still may add fenders or fancy lights or even do a complete paint job on it. But for now I'm just going to put some miles on it and see how things work out.

:)

When it's done it's done and that bike looks done to me!!!!
Please don't paint it. It looks perfect right now. Great bike and great parts!!
BRAVO!!

good call on the clear pedals, they look awesome! great build, The paint on the trusses and forks looks really cool.

So I bought these hipster fixie cranks but I don't think I'll use them. The gold finish is a nice match but the Super Maxys are working out well. I may just set these aside until another project comes along.

IMG_1215_zps4908aa21.jpg

I think I would at least try those gold cranks on for a mockup.

sweet bike! nice job King fish is right the paint is perfect!!

Troy

The Shimano pedals are now overhauled and cleaned up. If you have fat fingers, polishing these things by hand isn't the best idea. It took forever! :wink:

I liked the clear pedals a lot but these just look a little better with the bike. The clear ones will go on the shelf with the hipster fixie crank for now...

IMG_1216_zps0eeddf1b.jpg

One of the nice things about doing an easy build and having a huge parts stash: While everyone else is slaving away on their projects, I've been riding mine! :mrgreen:

IMG_1270_zps82c8f997.jpg

IMG_1273_zpsd1262180.jpg

0625132033_zps82e6f86d.jpg

thebigorangecat said:
That bike came together great, I'm thinking since you went a bit bmx/klunker you might hit it with a stem like this to match the cranks and seat post..........

tuf-neck-stem-1.jpg

Actually the original plan was to use a nice SR 4-bolt BMX stem but the bars are "bulged" for a single clamp gooseneck and were to fat to work with the stem.

Looks great. I hope to build a klunker someday.
Don't forget to post this in the finished section.

kingsting said:
One of the nice things about doing an easy build and having a huge parts stash: While everyone else is slaving away on their projects, I've been riding mine! :mrgreen:

IMG_1270_zps82c8f997.jpg

IMG_1273_zpsd1262180.jpg

0625132033_zps82e6f86d.jpg

Bragger! :mrgreen: Looks fun to ride.

Latest posts

Back