Single & Ready to Mingle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my favorite parts of building rat rods is usually that blending of real and sur-real rust. Won't be much of that for me this year on mine, so I'm enjoying watching others play!

Really like your build, Great lines on that frame, the tank idea is very cool. Color combo with the light tires. Spoon mount is very creative.

I used a similar - grill utensil kits always come with a pile of forks and pokers that are stainless - long stainless handles are great for bike stuff. Goodwill usually has piles of them.

Looking good!
This is the moneyshot for me! I love how the tank turned out!
BC010064-0CAD-4FA3-A796-9DC0EFB75712.jpeg

Way back when I first joined this site there was an idea thread, it had an old bike on eBay that had a spoon for a coaster brake strap. For the last 14 years or so I have been doing the same thing. I’ve found that heating it up and bending it over a long smallish socket that’s clamped in a vice works really well. View attachment 192630
Next up I’m going to start design the finned aluminum tank!

I remember having that flatware pattern as a kid. :D

That tank is incredible!!!! I may have to steal that idea for a future build. :D

Cool build. Never seen one of these frames before.
They only built them for about three years in the late 50's. I also think they made balloon tire version post war for one year, and they are even more rare. There was a build up of on this site a numbers of years back by @SimpleMan but the pictures are lost.

Not a lot of progress lately. I’ve been out of town for two weeks and about to head out again. Here are a couple pictures that are a little more clear. Also found the stem that I plan on using. I think it’s French, I like the details that it has. It will sit a little lower and I think I’ll ad some green accents to it. Piece by piece it’s getting closer

3B2B3BB9-D325-441E-B1D9-4EF089FCCC32.jpeg
85617413-4CA4-4CDC-A18A-BD1BAEF214F4.jpeg
2C0A2613-C453-47BC-8659-D48E909AF20C.jpeg
534FD509-DAE5-400A-91CC-2646162876D1.jpeg

Catching up on some stuff in the build-off and really digging your bike. Has a tough guy stance that I like. Keep up the fine work!:thumbsup:

This has a sexy mean vibe to it!

Though ornate, those Pivo stems are prone to failure so keep a close eye on it.
I could see that. The walls are pretty thin on it. I don’t see any cracks and the bike likely won’t get much abuse, but a good reminder to keep an eye on it.

Summers been busy, and I haven’t had too much time for bikes lately. I had some time tonight to dig through some more parts to see what sticks. It’s funny because I built my first custom bike called ‘Stripped & Teased’ way back in build off #4. Back then I had no parts and had to find each piece, and now I have so many parts that I completely forget what is there until I go digging.
The French stem is cool, but I think this one actually fits the build a little better, also found some mustache style bars with the chrome peeling off, and a set of trashed white schwinn grips.
00C81C4B-97EA-4886-87B6-FC39402D7DEC.jpeg
B02D8D57-66C8-448D-881D-5DF10E0F3330.jpeg
BE83C3E6-BBE3-495B-AD64-0D50B3C954B2.jpeg

I also plan on adding a rear bobbed fender. I found this beat up fender, that I believe is from an Elgin, in the stash. It has a really cool raised section up the middle (hard to photograph). I think I can get it straight enough to work, and will have to notch it to work in the middleweight frame. Then I’ll add some of the green patina to it so it blends in.
B9C1AADC-40F3-43DB-8FC1-F0D1FCA5CD39.jpeg
855839F9-0AF0-47F7-A92D-C2866AC5D836.jpeg

I know the feeling (and fun) of rumaging through your hoard of "stuff". It's fun what pops up sometimes.

Great choice on the stem and bars.
That fender should look cool. Are you going to notch it around the chain and frame so that it drops below the chainstay as well. I've always thought that was a cool look.

HARD TO SAY FOR SURE BUT I'M THINKING THAT FENDER IS FROM A 50'S COLUMBIA
IF IT IS THAT WOULD PERFECTLY BALANCE OUT HAVING A COLUMBIA SPRINGER ON THE FRONT
TOO BAD IT WASNT A FRONT FENDER
THOSE ALREADY HAVE THAT PERFECT "BOBBED" LOOK WITHOUT MUCH MODIFYING
YOU CAN SEE HOW ONE LOOKS ON MY RRBO FIRE WOMAN

Latest posts

Back