Single speed to multi speed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I may be getting a typhoon (not sure of the year) I’m gonna move my ebike kit from my Electra townie to the typhoon.
can I add a rear derailleur and use the 7 speed freewheel if I swap the front chainring with one from a varsity?
why do this?
I dunno

I do plan on adding disk brakes to this build, I’m replacing both the wheels
(I’ll hang on to the original, everything will be reversible)

I’m also hoping to put a triple tree or maybe a springer in front with a disk tab.

Has anyone done this and do you have examples so I can steal your ideas?

So a multi speed chain will work on a single speed front sprocket? I guess it’s a width thing and not a chain size thing.
there are four types of main chains.
#1 standard on BMX, beach cruisers. three wheels, Walmart sold bikes. that are single or five speed.
#2 is narrower/ slimmer found on high end road bikes and mountain bikes. yet not a must have to work with derailleurs.
#3 old skip tooth chains only work with skip tooth sprockets.

#4 only really used for micro tiny sprockets. the half link chains.

We're talking bikes here so there's always exceptions to any rule :)

1/8" Wide chain is bmx single speed

3/32 wide chain is multi speed chain

Now many bmx came with 1/8 freewheels but 3/32 front sprockets. Make sure your front sprocket will fit a 3/32 chain, the chain should drop freely and evenly onto the teeth.
3/32 freewheels are out there, usually in higher tooth counts to match with 26" cruiser gearing.

If youre planning on a multi speed. You need a 3/32 chain. Make sure your front sprocket fits.

Newer multi speed drivetrains, 7, 9, 11 rear gear clusters may require specific chains for those derailleurs. Google the chain required for your brand 7 speed and derailleur. I personally use KMC on everything, same color, save the spare links, use a chain tool with no master link and after a few bikes, I get a bonus chain with the left overs.

Screenshot_20220206-115709_Chrome.jpg

Latest posts

Back