Skip Toof

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I've been waiting for 1. an idea/direction to come to mind and 2. time to work on the bike. Neither has happened. I don't know what I want to do with it still and I've been working most my days off and I have other bike stuff that had/has to be done for upcoming show, vacation and festival. 107 degree temps not much of a motivator either.
So anyway I'm officially bowing out.
Good luck to everyone! Lots of cool bikes being built.

sorry to hear that. the heat is brutal it really sucks the energy and idea process out of one's mind. i was doing some striping last night on the build off bike and the paint was drying so fast i have not used that much reducer to keep the paint going in a long time.

Now with the Art Of The Bicycle show over and finally having a weekend off I managed to get a couple of hours free time Sunday night to get this thing ride-able. Still don't know what I will do with it but I've been dieing to ride it. I re-greased the hubs, replaced a broken spoke, put on a new crank, pedals, Schwinn grips and a Brooks saddle. Took it for a ride around the neighborhood Sunday night and on the way back I noticed the front tire started rubbing a truss rod as if the wheel was untrue. It started getting worse and then BAM! the tube blew out. I must not have gotten the tire seated properly or something.
Put a new tube in and rode it again tonight.

IMG_8419.JPG

looks great!
and i think it may be an elgin......the way the lower top tube is mounted to the seat tube screams elgin to me and the forks also look right for an elgin(note.....i dont know everything and have been wrong many times before but i do have an elgin that has both of those qualities :wink: )

sensor said:
looks great!
and i think it may be an elgin......the way the lower top tube is mounted to the seat tube screams elgin to me and the forks also look right for an elgin(note.....i dont know everything and have been wrong many times before but i do have an elgin that has both of those qualities :wink: )
Thanks Sensor. It very well could be an Elgin. I didn't put much research into it. The person I bought it from said he thought it was an Iver Johnson and I compared it to others I found on the net (can't remember where) and thought it looked the same.

Randy, that thing turned out really cool.

Tell me again why it wasn't in the finished bikes category?

Rat Rod said:
Randy, that thing turned out really cool.

Tell me again why it wasn't in the finished bikes category?
Thanks Steve.
I just went back and reread the rules I guess I could have entered it. I thought I missed the deadline. I was thinking it was the 31st or 1st. Like I said I just wanted to get it ride-able. Still don't know what my plans are but had I put it in the finished bikes at least then I couldn't be called a quitter :D

Latest posts

Back