Skip Tooth 16" Tricycle - COLSON?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Not much info on these old trikes. I do have all three wheels and used Solid tires. 16" wheels, jewled leather springer seat and skip tooth. Anyone know anything about it? Original paint is there and was burgandy with white or beige. I know I will never find the tires for a 16" trike. Also looks like it once had fender mounted headlight. VERY long headtube.
Any help is sure appreciated.
SkiptoothTRIKE2_zpsbd318f96.jpg

SkiptoothTRIKE1_zps5e5bb49e.jpg

SkiptoothTRIKE3_zpsa1cba3a8.jpg

One image I found on line but zero information on year or maker -

trike%20g%20758.jpg

It appears to me (from matching up rust patterns) as though the photo you found online is of your actual trike.

I thought the same thing. What are the odds of that on a Google search? The guy I got it from found it locally and so did I.

CeeBee said:
It looks like there is the outline where a distinctive shaped headbadge was. Maybe if you took a close up picture of that area, someone may recognize what brand badge would have been there.
It is very cool whatever it is!

Good point...that badge outline is not from a Colson tricycle badge that I know of.

still sweet :D

The headtube doesn't shoot well with a camera - I am leaning toward GARTON TOY COMPANY

rarebmx said:
I know I will never find the tires for a 16" trike.

Actually, you can find the tire material that you then have to cut to length and mount using a welded wire loop. It's a pretty involved process involving a purpose built rig, come-alongs and welding. It might be easier and more cost effective to find someone that can do it for you.

I managed to find links to both the materials and a how-to while researching for a child's bike that I came across. I will see if I can retrace my steps and find it again.

Thank you for the reply. I know in time I will be able to find the correct tire. The catch is, they are white walls & made in Ohio. If I network enough, someone will have them.

This might help, it's a Colson pre-war that I have. Mine has the shorter head tube. By the marks left where your headbage was, it has a similar shape. But, yours looks upside down.

Latest posts

Back