Skip tooth cogs and gearing

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I am trying to remedy an issue I keep having with gearing on my skip-tooth bikes. There just seems to be such a tall gearing when I use the standard mens 26 tooth front chain ring and the rear 9 tooth cogs that are available to retro fit on the newer shimano hubs. I guess what I am asking is what other rear cogs with more teeth are out there. I need to get my hands on one so I can make a program of it so I can make some retro fit cogs with a shorter gear. Does anyone have some other options for skip-tooth cogs I could borrow or buy?

That would be nice but your old chain was made for the the 26 x 9 gearing, so increasing the rear cog may cause the chain to be too short.

cman said:
That would be nice but your old chain was made for the the 26 x 9 gearing, so increasing the rear cog may cause the chain to be too short.

Yes I figured I would have to add to the chain but at this point it would be better to have shorter gearing as I just had knee surgery and it takes a lot of force to ride until I get me knee built back up at which point the doc wants top do the other knee. Anyway maybe I should make some cool chain rings instead. That way I wouldn't have to lengthen the chain. That reaally is the problem anyway. Finding cool skip-ttoth chain rings that are the smaller size which are "girls bike" chain rings. What are your thoughts CMAN?

Girls sprockets are the way to go. They look similar in size to current bikes and work with your existing chain. They are out there. I really like the one I used on my Elgin. I believe it came off a Hiatwatha. The Schwinn cloverleaf in a skiptooth looks good too.

CIMG1405.jpg

There is an 11 tooth cog available for the New Departure hubs. On my DX the chainring is a 26 tooth and the rear is an 11 tooth. This combo seems to be ideal. Pretty easy to pedal and decent top speed. Increasing the size of the wheel cog tends to make for easier pedaling, down side, decrease in top speed. Later & PEACE!!!!!

I think what he's getting at is, girls model bikes tend to have differnt gearing than boys model bikes. A common gearing on a 1/2" pitch drivetrain (boys) 44 front 18 rear. a common set up for girls is 44 front 20 rear or 22. This would be real close to 2 to 1 ratio, which would pedal easier. Its all in the ratios, just have o try a few and see what works best for you.

Slick Rick said:
I think what he's getting at is, girls model bikes tend to have differnt gearing than boys model bikes. A common gearing on a 1/2" pitch drivetrain (boys) 44 front 18 rear. a common set up for girls is 44 front 20 rear or 22. This would be real close to 2 to 1 ratio, which would pedal easier. Its all in the ratios, just have o try a few and see what works best for you.

Thanks Rick. Yes, what he said. :wink:

Latest posts

Back