Slant back bmx cruiser frames

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My goal with these was to get some more much needed practice, both welding, using lathe and mill and to miter tubes, all need some work. also I wanted to use up my stock of metal as it was getting rusty. The bikes took form with the "slant back" loop tail as sort of a happy accident, I scrapped some material making them. this makes 50 frames now, I feel 100 is the magic number where I will rise from mediocre to decent. Enjoy.
slantback (1).JPG
slantback (2).JPG
slantback (3).JPG
slantback (4).JPG
slantback (5).JPG
slantback (6).JPG
slantback (7).JPG
slantback (8).JPG
slantback (9).JPG
slantback (10).JPG
slantback (11).JPG
slantback (12).JPG
slantback (13).JPG

Beautiful frames! Love the loopy tails.

Are the frames CrMoly? I can't bend a looptail like that with 20x1.5mm (diameter x wall thickness) tube. The tube starts to crack at the outer surface.

It may have to do with the tube or lack of heat I am using.

S355 or st52 (construction steel) is no issue bending.

Anyway, I enjoy seeing your work!
Thanks in advance

Beautiful frames! Love the loopy tails.

Are the frames CrMoly? I can't bend a looptail like that with 20x1.5mm (diameter x wall thickness) tube. The tube starts to crack at the outer surface.

It may have to do with the tube or lack of heat I am using.

S355 or st52 (construction steel) is no issue bending.

Anyway, I enjoy seeing your work!
Thanks in advance
Thanks! they are high ten or "mild" steel, I'm not sure what is what there but I've made a lot of bike out of the stuff and they seem to hold up fine. I cold bend my loops on a Di Arco style tubing bender. Bends 4130 too.

Thanks! they are high ten or "mild" steel, I'm not sure what is what there but I've made a lot of bike out of the stuff and they seem to hold up fine. I cold bend my loops on a Di Arco style tubing bender. Bends 4130 too.
Thanks for your reply! I will try some CrMo bending in the near future too.
Google tells me that High Tensile steel is a bit stronger than S355 construction steel. Differences are in carbon content for ductility, weldability etcetera.
Interesting stuff!

Thanks for your reply! I will try some CrMo bending in the near future too.
Google tells me that High Tensile steel is a bit stronger than S355 construction steel. Differences are in carbon content for ductility, weldability etcetera.
Interesting stuff!
Yeah we can go down the rabbit hole on materiel, I figure Schwinn made millions of bikes out of the mild stuff, it will (and has) worked for me.

Wow pumping out Frames like cookies! great work on the welding!
Can I ask is stainless steel used in pushbike construction, or is it cost or structural strength why it isnt!

Latest posts

Back