Sleeping Giant

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I started, but couldn't finish, this bike in the 2018 build off and haven't really worked on a bike since except for maintenance.

Now, new house, new workshop, and thanks to COVID I have a little extra time and got to spend an evening working on bikes I made a little more progress. Lets hope it's sooner than two years before the next update!

Here's the original thread if you want to look, but I'll be posting some of the pics from that here as well
https://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-giant-killer-tapping-out.106638/
Inspiration pics:
DutchTriumph-Edwards-706955.jpg

mid-60s-Ironhed-chopper.jpg

Starting point:
Giant Suede, women's cruiser, maybe mid 2000s
giant-bike.jpg

Parts:
2.jpg

1.jpg

1 (1).jpg

20180530_220731.jpg

2018 progress:
20180601_104529.jpg

20180720_121041.jpg

20180724_201449.jpg

20180724_201527.jpg

That's as far as I got for over a year!

This week's progress to follow shortly!

So, finally finished stripping (most of) the paint off. I may come back later and polish it to a shine, but for now I think the brushed looks good.

@GuitarlCarl made some bolt on frame extensions for me back when, so the nana seat could sit more comfortably. But after a lot of messing around and a lot of cascading issues from moving the rear wheel back I decided to give up on the banana and sissy bar.

Got the correct wheels on now, and I'm liking em.
20200420_201759.jpg

Excuse the insanity of my basement.

Tried five different saddles I like how this one looks best out of what I currently have. I'll stick with it unless I come by something similar but 'chunkier'. It does look a little small in proportion.
20200420_215517.jpg

Challenges:
The brake arm fastener that cam with the front drum is a little on the small side for these forks.
Have to come up with something better. I'd like it to look a little nicer than just a hose clamp.
20200420_220824.jpg

The bike I stole the nexus 8 off had horizontal dropouts, this frame has vertical. So the shifter cable sticks out at a funny angle. Not a big deal, but I gotta order some new non-turn washers to fix it.
20200420_220844.jpg

Also need to buy five miles of brake cable and housing. I'm thinking silver braided would look good.

And figure out where/how to mount the shifter, I'm thinking twist grip suicide conversion because I don't like any of the options available for the nexus 8

Scoured the internet, surprised that I found something. Here's a picture of the seatpost clamp.
picture5_copy0_blowup.jpg

Here is another thing the bmxmuseum guys are using, looks like it is specifically made for drum brake arms, but I can't find a name for it...
image561db36ed5_blowup.jpg
image_copy3356_blowup.jpg

IMO the seatpost clamp looks cleaner, this thing is bulky. But I might just be saying that because it's on a Gary Littlejohn with a Tange fork! I'm only human! I remember now why I stopped visiting the bmxmuseum now...

Last edited:
Scoured the internet, surprised that I found something. Here's a picture of the seatpost clamp.
View attachment 117247
Her is another thing the bmxmuseum guys are using, looks like it is specifically made for drum brake arms, but I can't find a name for it...
View attachment 117248View attachment 117249
IMO the seatpost clamp looks cleaner, this thing is bulky. But I might just be saying that because it's on a Gary Littlejohn with a Tange fork! I'm only human! I remember now why I stopped visiting the bmxmuseum now...
Isn't it a motorcycle 1" handlebar clamp? To mount to the top crown of the fork.

The brake arm clamp is a problem for me as well, a bit worse because I use suspension forks (35mm tube or more) and I can't use the seat clamp trick.
I used a clamp for a front basket on one fork:
20200219_161258.jpg
20200219_161319.jpg

I am facing now the same problem again and will use a similar solution.

About the gearing rotationary pully gazing at the stars - the antirotational Shimano washers for vertical dropouts are 8L and 8R:
IMG_20200304_213638.jpg

No visual aids today.

Spent quite some time messing about with the seat post clamp trick, but got nowhere. All the clamps I have are too large for the fork, and I couldn't find anything to shim it with that felt secure enough.

Did some Cardboard Assisted Design and may make something up if I can find some scrap in the basement that hits balance of being strong enough, but also weak enough to be shaped with basic tools and skill (say, a chimp with a medium sized rock).

Ordered some other bits, bobs, and tools, should have some more progress after they get here.

Future problems to solve include shifter conversion, and taking a long hard look in the mirror and telling myself that it doesn't matter how much I hate running brake cables ignoring it won't makeit go away.

In other news. I was down in the basement staring at my parts stash and a foolish thought occured...

"I probably have here that I could do something up quick for the Build Off! Lets give that Rat Rod Mixte idea a go!"

So I made a pile
20200508_210422.jpg

Got to building, took some photos...
20200508_211147.jpg

20200508_212239.jpg

Got this far...
20200510_195603.jpg

Then when I'm test fitting to see if the wheels will rub anywhere, I notice they rub.. sometimes..
Closer inspection revealed the front hub is ready to give up the ghost, there's so much left and right play in it there must be no bearing left :(

I don't have the time or inclination to rebuild these wheels right now, so my quick turn around build off bike dreams are dashed before I even make a post.

At least I didn't start a build off thread and have to drop out again.

Back to the main subject soon!

But those lugs, with the highlights?! Noice! That's not the usual bearing cage, does one ball go in each hole?
Nevermind, just zoomed in and saw the locking tab, that's a washer with speed holes, isn't it?

But those lugs, with the highlights?! Noice! That's not the usual bearing cage, does one ball go in each hole?
Nevermind, just zoomed in and saw the locking tab, that's a washer with speed holes, isn't it?
I thought the exact same thing at first. It stops the brake hanger (not shown) from rotating independently of the steerer.

Crazy french thing doesn't have a bearing cage the cup and the top race are shaped to lock all the little balls in place

Latest posts

Back