So cool owning a vintage bike!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell you how proud I feel riding my Flightliner all over the place! I get so many "WOW, that bike is SWEET!" comments from people of all ages. What prompted me to write this was this kid who was doing a 6" jump with a little ramp on the street I ride home on. He looks over and tells me "nice bike!"I thanked him and as I was riding away it occurred to me that kids today get kinda ripped off with these generic Wally World bikes. Not really anything that stands out in a crowd. My hope is that I created a spark that might blossom in him and he'll be inspired to find his own vintage bike. Who knows? You got a similar story about your ride? 8)

My Baby...
DSCF0007.jpg

This summer my wife and I were riding around the city wide garage sales when we stopped at a garage sale and parked our vintage Schwinns at the end of one driveway and while we were shopping the sale a truck slams on its brakes and throws it into reverse and a guy jumps from the truck and yells at the lady having the sale "how much for the old bikes" the wife and I laugh and say they are ours and not for sale..then on the way home I thought no one would have stopped like that for a walmart bike :) it is cool to have something stand out as different :lol:

I love vintage bikes but I have a hard time saying no to cash so I sell them but buy others. I always get comments on whatever I am riding.

That's the bike from the calendar isn't it? Excellent.

I live in military housing, so there are tons of kids out and about. They have it almost as good as I did as a kid, able to ride the streets without much problem with cars. They all know about my bikes hanging up in the garage and always ask if I'm ready to get rid of any, especially a Rollfast Mustang. I always get asked if they can push the horn button on my old Schwinn. I'm known as the bike guy and get parents showing up needing theirs and the kids bikes fixed. They also want to buy the bikes I have, and I have sold a bunch of cruisers, but kept my favorites. I slowly am adding to the number of favorites, about 8 of them now.

Wildcat said:
That's the bike from the calendar isn't it? Excellent.

I live in military housing, so there are tons of kids out and about. They have it almost as good as I did as a kid, able to ride the streets without much problem with cars. They all know about my bikes hanging up in the garage and always ask if I'm ready to get rid of any, especially a Rollfast Mustang. I always get asked if they can push the horn button on my old Schwinn. I'm known as the bike guy and get parents showing up needing theirs and the kids bikes fixed. They also want to buy the bikes I have, and I have sold a bunch of cruisers, but kept my favorites. I slowly am adding to the number of favorites, about 8 of them now.
Only 8? Trust me that number will grow.

We had a couple of the nephews over last weekend. They were riding bikes a lot and were content with the OCC & WCC Choppers and the modern mountain bikes until they saw my collection of oldies. They jumped on some Stingrays and Greg's Hawthorne right away. One of them was infatuated with my Sears Spaceliner. He never touched another bike after getting on that one!

I regret trashing my 64 enfield stupid teenager :roll: But my(really my sis's) 55 rollfast is cool never got a complaint with it. Everyone loves the trike and a lycra rider stopped today just to look at it.

I love bikes, but hate when people refer to my bike as being "vintage" or better yet, being a "Vintage Schwinn" All bikes are schwinns appearantly

chepe13 said:
I love bikes, but hate when people refer to my bike as being "vintage" or better yet, being a "Vintage Schwinn" All bikes are schwinns appearantly
Yeah so many people try to use that as an umbrella term like all hybrid cars must be a Prius or a Smart car. And I'm sorry have you seen the crash test video of the smart? If you drive one on the highway after seeing that you are NOT Smart. :lol:

B607 said:
chepe13 said:
" All bikes are schwinns appearantly

All bikes aren't Schwinns? :? Really? :p Gary

Haha, my favorite line of schwinn is the huffy line that I see for sale on craigslist all the time.

Chips_Mahoy said:
We had a couple of the nephews over last weekend. They were riding bikes a lot and were content with the OCC & WCC Choppers and the modern mountain bikes until they saw my collection of oldies. They jumped on some Stingrays and Greg's Hawthorne right away. One of them was infatuated with my Sears Spaceliner. He never touched another bike after getting on that one!

That's because Spaceliners ROCK!!!!

It is a shame they make bikes so poorly these days. My heavy 30's Elgin rides smoother than a brand new walmart bike. Not to mention how cool vintage bicycles look compaired to newer ones. :) Same with vintage cars.
No style these days. lol

Aluyasha said:
It is a shame they make bikes so poorly these days. My heavy 30's Elgin rides smoother than a brand new walmart bike. Not to mention how cool vintage bicycles look compaired to newer ones. :) Same with vintage cars.
No style these days. lol
If you think about it walmart crap---there must of had some crap in the day
walmart bikes wont be around 80 years from now---neither are crap bikes from that era

Electra,felt,specialized are quality bikes---Elgin,schwinn,higgins where quality bikes
They will have some survivors 80 years from now---there arr survivors

Latest posts

Back