So, has anyone seen one of these?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this old 80's (actually a 1980 from what a friend of mine told me) AMF labled 10 speed stick shifter laying around in one of my parts boxes for about a year and the other day I was gonna start taking it apart and making a custom stick shifter for something else. While I was diggin into it, I figured out how to mount it to the bike, which was the biggest reason I have done nothing with it. Got it along with alot of other classic parts and a few bikes for trade of my 2011 Cranbrook. Isn't it cool?!

DSCN3805.jpg

Pre SIS and indexed shifting, I am suprised what some wd40, brushs/rags and a quick rebuild and clean up can do for this 32year old shifter. Works like a tiptronic/tipmatic shifter, where the shifter stays in one position and you "bump" the shifter up for upshifts and bump shifter down for downshifts.

DSCN3803.jpg

The 10speed single stick shift shifter works with Shimano 5speed SIS freewheel and I was supsised how well it shifter. I had to pull the caseing off it when I rebuilt it and cleaned up the gear number indicator lable and reglue it to the wheel it was on. The way it shifts supposedly is sequetial 1st thru 10th, but every other shift changes the front chainring back and forth as it shifts the rear derailleur every other shift (ie. 1st= small front+big rear, 2nd=big front+big rear, 3rd= small front and 2nd biggest rear, 4th= big front+2nd biggest rear, 5th= small front+3rd biggest rear, 6th= big front+3rd biggest rear and so on in this sequence).
I have been into bikes for 20 years and i've never seen anything like it. The guy I got it from said it went to some "Bruce Jenner" road bike.

DSCN3808.jpg

Now it is the suicide stick shifter for my 1986 Murray Monterey cruiser. I mean don't we all just have an old Murray laying around that we aren't really doing anything with?

That is cool. It is kind of like the Prosche inline transmission on the road race cars.

I think that is the coolest thing I have ever seen. :mrgreen: How did they not sell more of those things?

i have one, but i've never had a project i wanted to try it on. picked it up off ebay a few years back. couldn't find much about it except the bike it was on was black and gold, and also there's a page on the 'net that has the patent work or whatever you call it. you know, where you have to decribe it and how it works and all.

coolest shifter ever!

saw one on a tuneup about 20 years ago, it was on a black and gold 'playboy' themed 10 speed.... :D

Yeah, totally similar to Porsches Tiptronic transmission. For being as old as it is, I am suprised it is as precise as it is with only the occasional mis-shift. Giving my front derailleur a work out.

When I got the couple bikes and boxes of parts from the old, mysterious and eccentric bike man, I had also gainned a rear positron 2 derailleur, a front freewheeling chainring with cranks to be used on a 3pc crank and was another crazy early Shimano idea where the freewheel was fixed and the cranks freewheeled and a early 80's Shogun sport road bike with the rare 24" front wheel and 27" rear wheel and short 16" frame for shorter/smaller riders. A nice selection of oddities! :mrgreen:

Since this morning, I put on a new rear derailleur, as the one pictured was worn out and sloppy. Now it is really easy to dial in that shifter and shifts almost flawlessly, which is not bad since SIS system and/or indexed shifting wasn't generally around for another few years on most bikes. I guess when indexed shifting took over, it was cheaper and simpler than this suicide stick shift. I am absolutly loving it and thanks for the comments!

Latest posts

Back