So, I got a free Schwinn Town and Country trike....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DcpeWwL.jpg

3qiK9dg.jpg

HksdPEo.jpg

A little back story....I was living down the Jersey Shore, pretty much across the street from the beach. Life was grand. But I was always a little jealous of people who had trikes down there--- especially the older ones. The land is completely flat, so a trike moves very smoothly. No hills to conquer. Anyway, one day about three years ago, I went to visit my parents. They lived about 50 miles north. I'm about a block away from there house when I see some guy wheeling out this trike to the curb. I slammed my brakes and pulled up to him. He told me he was giving the bike away, but only to someone who would use it and not sell it. I was elated. I told him where I lived and how I always wanted a trike. We shook hands and I had an awesome new bike. I couldn't wait for the summer to come.

Seven days later, Hurricane Sandy hit. Needless to say, the homes that were very close to the shore didn't fair too well. The place I lived was fairly heavily damaged and I had to move back in with my parents for a little while. I swore it would only be a few months. Well, I did move out of my parents' place, but I never did manage to make it back down the shore. That was three years ago. Well, I'm heading back in January! I can't wait. In the meantime, I figured it was time to keep my word to the very kind gentleman that gave me this beautiful machine. But here's the rub: I have no clue what I'm doing.

About the bike..... No clue what year it is, but I'd assume it's a 70's model. Maybe one of you can tell me. It clearly needs new tires. And brake lines. And brakes. As far as rust, there is some on the chrome, but it's not horrible by any means. Other than that. it seems to be in pretty good shape.

My idea was to slightly modernize it, while giving it a bad-... look. I was thinking of blacking the entire thing out, even if that means replacing the chrome parts, including the spokes. I also wanted to put some fatter tires on there and also maybe throw on some handlebars that are more like a beach cruiser. You know, the ones that are padded all over and very wide. Honestly, I'm not even sure if it's possible (at least easily) to put on new bars and fatter tires.

So, I'm looking for some advice. How should I start out? Feel free to throw in any creative ideas. I'm pretty handy and can figure out how to do most things, but I'm a baby when it comes to a project like this. What do you guys think?

Thank in advance!

Early 70's is my guess. The handlebars are stamped with a two-digit date code at their mounting point, and the serial number can be decoded, if you provide it. The hub shell on the three-speed is probably stamped, too.

Early 70's is my guess. The handlebars are stamped with a two-digit date code at their mounting point, and the serial number can be decoded, if you provide it. The hub shell on the three-speed is probably stamped, too.
Terrific! That's what I need to know.

That's a Chicago made Schwinn. It's made to last forever. It may be a 60's or 70's model, as the frames didn't change much over the years. I'm guessing 1968. That one looks like it was kept in a garage. Schwinn's chrome and paint were excellent quality and you'll be surprised how well the rust comes off and the paint shines like new with just a cleaning and waxing. Be careful with the white lettering if you use strong soap or scrub it, I would recommend just dish soap and paste car wax.
The rear section is bolted on and can be used with another frame. The frame you have is actually a regular bike. A rear wheel can be put on and it would be like a Schwinn Breeze or similar model.
If you didn't find numbers on the head tube or hub shell, try the left dropout, by the bolt where the rear section bolts on, there may be a serial number there.
It's good just as it is, just lube up everything and adjust the bearings for the easiest rolling. A wooden box and bigger ape handlebars might be a good look.
If you haven't done that kind of thing before, let a bike shop check it out and handle it. They can adjust your front brakes too. The rear looks to be coaster brake, it is probably as good as it will get. You could also get advice and see how to do it here. If you replace the tires, take note of the size, they may be the oddball Schwinn size. You can still find them though.

That's a Chicago made Schwinn. It's made to last forever. It may be a 60's or 70's model, as the frames didn't change much over the years. I'm guessing 1968. That one looks like it was kept in a garage. Schwinn's chrome and paint were excellent quality and you'll be surprised how well the rust comes off and the paint shines like new with just a cleaning and waxing. Be careful with the white lettering if you use strong soap or scrub it, I would recommend just dish soap and paste car wax.
The rear section is bolted on and can be used with another frame. The frame you have is actually a regular bike. A rear wheel can be put on and it would be like a Schwinn Breeze or similar model.
If you didn't find numbers on the head tube or hub shell, try the left dropout, by the bolt where the rear section bolts on, there may be a serial number there.
It's good just as it is, just lube up everything and adjust the bearings for the easiest rolling. A wooden box and bigger ape handlebars might be a good look.
If you haven't done that kind of thing before, let a bike shop check it out and handle it. They can adjust your front brakes too. The rear looks to be coaster brake, it is probably as good as it will get. You could also get advice and see how to do it here. If you replace the tires, take note of the size, they may be the oddball Schwinn size. You can still find them though.

This is some seriously valuable information. I'm going to be taking a look at it tomorrow. Once I find the serial number, where can I look it up?

Does it have an intermediate hub? Or is it direct drive between the crank and axle? If so, that can be swapped out for Multispeed geared trike hub

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

If you do put cruiser bars on it, keep the bars you have just in case. The reason I say this is because I put cruiser bars on my B.O.10 bike, it rode fine but the shape of the bars made steering a little hard on the wrists. So just make sure you like the feel of the cruiser bars.

Does it have an intermediate hub? Or is it direct drive between the crank and axle? If so, that can be swapped out for Multispeed geared trike hub

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk
I have no clue what any of this means. I'd assume that's not good.

I have no clue what any of this means. I'd assume that's not good.
This is a picture of the drive train of my Cignal Village Velo. The main crank drives the intermediate hub which then drives the split axle. The intermediate hub is just a regular wheel coaster brake hub that instead of being in a wheel, has another take off gear instead.

679bc71367a080883954ed43b5fa4843.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back