Something different about this middleweight

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ish

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, we went to a bike collector's "divorce sale" to see if he had a bike for my gf (we are looking for a 5 speed green Collegiate for her), and also to see what kind of middleweight stuff he had. No dice on a Collegiate. He had a few middleweights hanging in his shed, and his asking price was more or less $150 on each of them. I noticed that one of them was in decent condition, had a 2-speed Bendix hub and neat looking generator light set, and asked him to take it down. It was an early 60s American.

kingsizeamerican.jpg

I took it out for a spin, and it rode really nice compared to other middleweights I've been on. I needed a rider with more than one speed, so I decided to get it. I wasn't too jazzed paying $150 for it since I'm "thrifty", but I wanted a rider sooner rather than later. While paying for the bike, I looked at the label on the chainguard, and went "...? I've never heard of that model before..."

kingsizechainguard.jpg

I researched the "King Size" when I got home. The frame is larger... so that's why it rode so nice! Turns out I ended up with a pretty rare middleweight! I'm ecstatic about the find, but now I'm hesitant to subject it to daily use and the constant Portland rain.

Lucky dog! I'd love to find a king size frame, just about any condition.

I'd ride the thing daily, it's bulletproof.

an american kingsize schwinn... nice and in great shape. check out mine...
IMG_0725.jpg

a 1962 scwinn american heavy duty version (hd seat and hd wheels)

this is my very first cruiser and the bike i've had the longest... and i love this bike! the chainguard is not oem, but ya gotta love those heavy duty wheels with bendix hubs front and back. not crazy with schwinn's 26 x 1 3/4 wheel size, but i can live with it.

Looks good, I restored a standard size 1964 American for the lady who runs the thrift store. I think yours is a standard frame although I might be wrong.

2i0q8gl.jpg

so....... how many are searching 'king size schwinn' on ebay tonight :?: :)

Good original condition w/2 speed hub and a king size for $150.00 Smokin deal!!! Clean it , wax it, and ride it like you stole it cuz you did! :mrgreen: Later & PEACE!!!!

Latest posts

Back