Space Patrol Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have some time, some tools and lot of old bike parts, and also purchased one of the renaissance mans' spaceliner tanks. That will be going on a Hiawatha Asto Flite that has been in my basement for a couple of decades. The plan is to gussy it up into a cruiser that could plausibly come off a showroom floor ca. 1960. Space Patrol just seems like a good name for the bike although the TV show was off the air by 1960. Here is the core- I will be trying to keep and refresh the flamboyant purple color:

I like the theme you are planning on. There is a Space Bike Build Off in the archives. You should check it out for inspiration.

I have some time, some tools and lot of old bike parts, and also purchased one of the renaissance mans' spaceliner tanks. That will be going on a Hiawatha Asto Flite that has been in my basement for a couple of decades. The plan is to gussy it up into a cruiser that could plausibly come off a showroom floor ca. 1960. Space Patrol just seems like a good name for the bike although the TV show was off the air by 1960. Here is the core- I will be trying to keep and refresh the flamboyant purple color:
Legen................wait for it.............dary

The paint is not in too bad a shape, and is responding to rubbing compound. There is a lot of rust peppering that I HOPE will respond to an oxalic acid bath:

Rooting around in the sheds I've come up with some more parts-some Lucas L550 interior lights for headlights, but with LEDs behind them. Curved fender braces off of a Roadmaster which will have to be altered to fit a middleweight fender. Front fender is going to have to be a cut down rear in order to use these. The fender ornament came off of a car in the woods decades ago. It's a little big and a little heavy so I might drill it out and make a light out of it. Or find something smaller. I don't really like the chrome wire rear rack so I might cut off the legs and use the Spaceliner deck. The seat is a 1950s Persons that will have to be recovered, but it has a crash rail and the (corroded) brass Persons tag. Things seem to be coming together well! Hopefully not Famous last words...

Last edited:
The paint is not in too bad a shape, and is responding to rubbing compound. There is a lot of rust peppering that I HOPE will respond to an oxalic acid bath:

Rooting around in the sheds I've come up with some more parts-some Lucas L550 interior lights for headlights, but with LEDs behind them. Curved fender braces off of a Roadmaster which will have to be altered to fit a middleweight fender. Front fender is going to have to be a cut down rear in order to use these. The fender ornament came off of a car in the woods decades ago. It's a little big and a little heavy so I might drill it out and make a light out of it. Or find something smaller. I don't really like the chrome wire rear rack so I might cut off the legs and use the Spaceliner deck. The seat is a 1950s Persons that will have to be recovered, but it has a crash rail and the (corroded) brass Persons tag. Things seem to be coming together well! Hopefully not Famous last words...
Cool. Those fender ornaments were used on '59 Chevys. I just picked up a pair of them at a swap meet a few weeks ago for the intent of using them on a bicycle. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Last edited:
I'm staying up too late enjoying a good midwestern thunderstorm, something that I just don't get in California. I also managed to win a 2011 Fat Tire beer bike at a local restaurant (this has been a very odd trip so far) and after playing with the Roadmaster stays and looking at the Fat Tire bike- a Felt Magno with curvy, tubular fender stays- I'm thinking of just fabbing the fender struts up out of tubing. There is a lot of 1/2" stainless tube in an abandoned building at work which makes the idea pretty tempting. Has anyone tried this or have any friendly advice? Fitting the tank is a little fiddly, but no real problems so far.

this is looking cool so far love the start bike

More plotting and scheming and gathering materials than anything else- the bike and parts are in transit to the west coast. I am scaring up supplies to make a set of 1/2" rollers for the mighty harbor freight tubing roller for the fender stays and found a good site about forming the ends:
http://www.brufnut.de/MONTY/HEADLIGHT/headlight.htm
Basically, a lot of yak shaving before actually cutting metal but it's all been necessary.

Here is what I hope to turn the stainless tubing into. I have a 30 ton hydraulic jewelery press that shoud do the trick:
airflo%20struts_zpsal8jhb7h.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Latest posts

Back