Spitfire BMX Strand

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakedog

RRB Supporter
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello RatRodders! Well, after my initial post seven years ago about how I've been lurking so long I have finally decided to dive in on a build thread. I don't have any huge stash of parts and want this to be a daily rider so will be slowly buying parts as I go. I hope some of you can give me some hints and tricks to make everything come together.

I'm starting with what I believe to be a December of '53 build, 1954 model year straight bar Spitfire frame. Seems like the Spitfire badge was slapped on several different frame styles, but the '54 catalog is the only one I've see that shows a straight bar Spitfire.

IMG_4331.JPEG

IMG_4300.JPEG

IMG_4304.JPEG

The paint looks pretty good and I would like to preserve it. Any tips? I know an oxalic acid bath will mitigate the rust, but have also heard it can kill red paint. I found a thread saying higher water temperature and lower ph greatly reduces the time needed to clean the rust up. Problem is, the water here is literally rock hard. We have an artesian aquifer and the ph is something like 7.5 - 8, where the recommendation is a ph of 2.0.

I have a set of chrome Landing Gear BMX forks and an unfinished set of handlebars. I believe the handlebars came from PorkChop several years back. I'll probably peal the stickers off the fork though. The handlebars I'm thinking of powder coating but haven't decided on a color.

IMG_4351.JPEG

I want to do red rims and was leaning toward red high flange hubs, but I'm not sure about brakes. I was thinking cantilever and have seen similar builds using them, but I'm not sure with the BMX forks. Now I'm thinking drum brakes with some big levers. I'll definitely do a 3 piece crankset. Still deciding on exactly how I want it geared. I ride a cheapo cruiser right now and for the most part the gearing works for me so I'll probably copy that. Stay tuned!

I'm not big on branding, especially overwhelming branding. Think gary fisher's name on a frame in 17 places.
Lol I get it. I have a few Specializeds in the fleet. A couple of matching bottle cages, grips, pedals, gloves, bottle, tires... They put the big S on everything! Nice branding on that "Schwinn" of yours 🤭

I'm not sure if it's appropriate to mention but I found a great deal on the Sturmey Archer X-FD. Ride On Bike Shop out of Canada has them on clearance. They normally don't ship but are working to get me one in the mail. Now if I can only find the X-RD with a single freewheel. They seem to be almost nonexistent with all the parts shortages.

Well I thought I found a rear Sturmey Archer single speed freewheel but I got too excited and didn't pay attention. It's the model that takes a 7 speed cog. I wish they would distinguish it in the name and not just as a sub model number. No matter though. I'm building up my inventory and will make use of it. I also have a pre WWII DX frame I've been thinking of using for a true, derailleur geared klunker.

Latest posts

Back