Springer Fork mistake?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So while looking up how to install info I noticed several posts about how people hate springer forks. Did I screw up buying one? Some people say steering is terrible!

I LIKE BIKES

They look neat and Schwinn style springers give you a softer ride for sure. Some of them are noisy. They are more fragile than a regular fork. Your front end will feel more solid and the balance will be better with a regular fork. Gary

They look neat and Schwinn style springers give you a softer ride for sure. Some of them are noisy....
+1

An occasional dab of Pedro’s chain oil on the spring shaft nearest the rubber bumper on the spring side with a little compressing of the springer while applying eliminates the “squeaks”.

Schwinn springer on my customized 2006 Schwinn Manta Ray
SchwinnMantaRay5-14-140022_zpsf2394366.jpg

I gotta say, I prefer a rigid fork to a springer, especially on a cruiser. That being said, a fork with excessive rake will not be any better, in terms of handling. Some set-ups are chosen for aesthetic reasons; others are chosen for ride characteristics. Depending on your prferences, it's possible to have both.

I absolutely prefer both the look and the handling of bikes with rigid forks and something close to the factory angles, but that's just me. Since you've already ordered the springer, try it.... you might find it suits you fine. If not, well, that's what the f/s forum is for.

They steer slow, if not "adjusted," can pull left or right, and can be noisey!
But besides looks, they turn nice and relaxed.
Here is what I do to them to get forward compression:
1403188426218_zps675f077a.jpg

You have to split the spring, I use the rubber snubber, but inside the spring, see photo! You guys get it!
Note: this slows steering response.

A rigid fork will always feel tighter & give you more control left to right. Most of my springer forks are a little more loose, but the ride is smoother obviously. They just look so cool, I prefer them to a regular fork. But, that's just me! The Schwinn type springer is sloppier by far than my shockmaster, monark, beehive & x-53 forks.

This stretch cruiser will just be my cruise around town low mile type thing.

I LIKE BIKES

For short, casual paced rides on a stretch, I don't think you'll go far wrong with a springer... Those kinds of JRA rides don't demand top-notch performance or handling..... I think you oughta run it for a while, then make your mind up after you get a sense of the ride....

That's why I'm debating cutting the tube and just use a tall spacer. You guys think this will be a problem? I'll have a locknut above and below plus the cap. This is a piece of 1-1/8 steer tube.
9e4ymyra.jpg

I LIKE BIKES

That's why I'm debating cutting the tube and just use a tall spacer. You guys think this will be a problem? I'll have a locknut above and below plus the cap. This is a piece of 1-1/8 steer tube.
9e4ymyra.jpg

I LIKE BIKES
With a bmx stem, that should be do-able!

I've used a springer on my stretch for years now and had no problems. Some are better than others. The better ones I've used have the the front leg and strut welded together instead of held together with the axle bolt on the wheel. I've also had to tighten the spring bolt down to keep it from being too bouncy. As far as the spacers I'd use 1" threadless headset spacers.

Handling issues? If you want to do high performance stuff- 40mph hill dives, road racing, or BMX then maybe a Schwinn style springer isn't the best call. If you're out for a cruise, they handle just fine. And you can't beat the soft rock, and easy bouncy ride. Get a springer and a Brooks B 190 saddle together, and you're just plain floating down the bike path.

JWM

I've been riding springer bikes all my life. I love them. I prefer a springer over a rigid any day. JWM is correct, springers aren't for BMX or mountain bikes but I have ridden an old cruiser with a springer on some dirt trails with lot of turns and jumps. It worked great but on the jumps the springer was loud, making banging noised from getting airborne. It held up just fine. If you've never ridden a springer bike it does take some getting used to but it sure makes for a smoother ride. Plus, they just look so much cooler than a rigid. And looking cool is what it'a all about, right?

I have plenty of 1" spacers but thought it would look silly with so many stacked.

I LIKE BIKES

Looking "silly" is a matter of personal taste, so I won't comment on that. I'd just chop the steerer at the spot that puts the bars at a comfortable level for ya, and use however many spacers it takes to fill in the blanks.

You won't have safety/performance issues with a lot of spacers in the stack; you just might not care for the look is all.

Latest posts

Back