St Patricks day speedy build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Huffy Superia. late 1980s attempt at a mountain bike. Typical for the era. gas pipe frame, all steel parts. This was missing some parts, cables rusted, handlebars rusted, seat bent. Emerald Green paint okay.

Before

I rebuilt the rear wheel using a 36h coaster brake hub from a little girls Schwinn (yeah, it's pink). Added a couple of spacer nuts to the rear axle to match up the chain line and frame width. Regreased the bb and rear hub and oiled the pedals. Removed the baby sprocket. The other 2 were spot welded together so I left them on. The donor hub is new enough that is has a 3/32 cog so I shortened up the chain.. Early bmx bars are from the bin o parts. They were brush painted blue so I brush painted them green. Long green grips from some sort of exercise equipment. A two day build. I had to let the paint dry before finishing up the handle bar assembly. Ready for the local St Pats Day parade this saturday. Yeah, it's early for some unknown reason. After 30 years of running the parade on St Pats day, they decided Saturday was better. The weather forecast for satuday is 26 and windy. The weather forecast for St pats day is 60 and sunny. Go figure.
I took it out for spin. Brrr, 28 and windy so I didn't go very far.

Last edited:
Around here there are so many bars, so many riders just go bar to bar. A bike lock is a better accessory.

You kept a hand brake on this one?
Love these builds that simplify a bike!
Makes them better to ride and look at.
The seat is probably a little hard tho?

You kept a hand brake on this one?
Love these builds that simplify a bike!
Makes them better to ride and look at.
The seat is probably a little hard tho?
"for sidewalk use only" is stamped on the coaster brake arm. The hub brake shoes are smaller than normal. The hand brake seemed like it was needed and it was the only original part that worked.
Seat has a little foam left.

Latest posts

Back