Star Spangled Bomber

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dude! SAME thing happens to me every time I try to lace one up too, I’d love someone to tell me what I’m doing wrong too

First there are 7 sizes of 26" rims where the rubber meets the metal used since WW2. BSD or Bead Seat Diameter is the critical measurement for fitting tires. None of these are interchangeable: rim vs tire. for 26 inche tires the BSDs vary from 559mm to 597mm or 1 & 1/2 inches.
26 x decimal point anything
26 x 1 3/4 Schwinn
26 x 1 3/8 to fit Schwinns
26 x 1 3/8 to fit english bikes
26 x 1 1/4
26 x 1 1/2 (really 650B)
26 x 1

Next, every brand of rim takes a different length spoke. The ERD, Effective Rim Diameter is the defined as the circle where the end of the spokes should be. The profile or shape of a rim varries considerably across models of rims. Deep dish aero rims use much shorter spokes. Flat steel rims take the longest spokes.

You can look up ERD for many modern race rims but that Star Araya sure wont' be on anyone's charts.

Thirdly, the spoke pattern affects spoke length. Radial spoking (straight out) takes the shortest spokes. The more crosses 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x take longer and longer spokes. 3x is the most common spoke pattern.

How to measure ERD.
measure across the rim, inside to inside. write it down. Measure in 2 or 3 places, use the biggest result. (A)
Thread a spoke in to a nipple where the end of the threads are just below the slot in the nipple.
put the spoke in any spoke hole in the rim. Put a mark on the nipple where it meets the inner edge of the rim.
measure the bit of spoke from your mark to the threaded end of the spoke. write it down. (B)
add that to the first measurement, twice.
ERD = A + B + B
You can use that ERD in many of the spoke length calculators on line.
There are sellers on ebay who can provide spokes in any length using very expensive spoke cutters with thread rollers. FYI, Spoke threads are never cut with a die, they are rolled. If you have spokes sticking out beyond the spoke nipple, an angle grinder is handy for shortening them so they don't puncture your tubes.

Using longer spoke nipples gives you more room for error.

rim.erd.jpg

It's been a while since I've actually looked at this frame.
Remembered these 2 little holes in the top tube.
20210617_164528.jpg

I can fill those with brad nails and weld.

The drive side chain stay however, is something different.
20210617_164736.jpg

Not sure what to do about that, but the only other frames I have are 2 schwinn heavy duti and an old cwc. I dont want to use any of them for this build, so I'm running with this.

My beer-named thespian, I really like this frame. Very cool lines. It's probably just the camera angle, but that fork looks a little 'short' ? I'm sure you have slapped a 26" wheel in there already and it works. Like I said, prob just my eyes playing tricks with the camera.

Is that chain stay mark near where a crank arm might have hit it over and over? I have seen this a couple of times on old frames I've obtained. My Desert Sky klunker has a big ol' dent right there. Never had any issues, and that's been ridden on desert, rocky trails with slight drops.

RaT oN~!

Reactions: Fv2
My beer-named thespian, I really like this frame. Very cool lines. It's probably just the camera angle, but that fork looks a little 'short' ? I'm sure you have slapped a 26" wheel in there already and it works. Like I said, prob just my eyes playing tricks with the camera.

Is that chain stay mark near where a crank arm might have hit it over and over? I have seen this a couple of times on old frames I've obtained. My Desert Sky klunker has a big ol' dent right there. Never had any issues, and that's been ridden on desert, rocky trails with slight drops.

RaT oN~!
That damage is a bit closer to the drop out and inside the stay.
It looks like maybe something was between the stays and a heavy thing fell on it.

Diggin' the vid Falstaff! That wheels set is sweet, bars are cool, and I'd missed that chain ring before. Carrying the theme well. I 'm picking up what you're laying down with the paint job hints. Red and white? Or red, white , and blue?

Diggin' the vid Falstaff! That wheels set is sweet, bars are cool, and I'd missed that chain ring before. Carrying the theme well. I 'm picking up what you're laying down with the paint job hints. Red and white? Or red, white , and blue?
Red white and blue
I hadn't shown the chain ring before, actually forgot I had it.

First there are 7 sizes of 26" rims where the rubber meets the metal used since WW2. BSD or Bead Seat Diameter is the critical measurement for fitting tires. None of these are interchangeable: rim vs tire. for 26 inche tires the BSDs vary from 559mm to 597mm or 1 & 1/2 inches.
26 x decimal point anything
26 x 1 3/4 Schwinn
26 x 1 3/8 to fit Schwinns
26 x 1 3/8 to fit english bikes
26 x 1 1/4
26 x 1 1/2 (really 650B)
26 x 1

Next, every brand of rim takes a different length spoke. The ERD, Effective Rim Diameter is the defined as the circle where the end of the spokes should be. The profile or shape of a rim varries considerably across models of rims. Deep dish aero rims use much shorter spokes. Flat steel rims take the longest spokes.

You can look up ERD for many modern race rims but that Star Araya sure wont' be on anyone's charts.

Thirdly, the spoke pattern affects spoke length. Radial spoking (straight out) takes the shortest spokes. The more crosses 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x take longer and longer spokes. 3x is the most common spoke pattern.

How to measure ERD.
measure across the rim, inside to inside. write it down. Measure in 2 or 3 places, use the biggest result. (A)
Thread a spoke in to a nipple where the end of the threads are just below the slot in the nipple.
put the spoke in any spoke hole in the rim. Put a mark on the nipple where it meets the inner edge of the rim.
measure the bit of spoke from your mark to the threaded end of the spoke. write it down. (B)
add that to the first measurement, twice.
ERD = A + B + B
You can use that ERD in many of the spoke length calculators on line.
There are sellers on ebay who can provide spokes in any length using very expensive spoke cutters with thread rollers. FYI, Spoke threads are never cut with a die, they are rolled. If you have spokes sticking out beyond the spoke nipple, an angle grinder is handy for shortening them so they don't puncture your tubes.

Using longer spoke nipples gives you more room for error.

View attachment 161575
Rick, which one is the common wheel on all the Chinese made bikes today that use a tire marked 26x2.125?

Latest posts

Back