State 650b Klunker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Diamond frames are boring
For cruising and compared to the myriad of other options (especially vintage), agreed.

For dealing in the dirt, just about anything after the advent of the diamond compact geometry wins every time in every department except style.

My go-to in the dirt the past couple of years is a weighty/overbuilt $300 Nashbar (gasp) rigid 29er singlespeed that was modded with select parts in the right places to withstand the onslaught. Even with a Chinese gaspipe-tubed tank, it handily outperforms anything I have that's not a diamond frame in the dirt, or at the paved pump track.

My only disclaimer to the above is that until I have enough money to pop for a custom frameset by Curtis Inglis or Steve Garro, I will not know how a full custom non-diamond frame will measure up. Then again, a full custom diamond frameset has a good chance of outperforming a non-diamond custom Retrotec or Coconino.

Disclaimer: 90% of my riding will be pavement riding, 5% long, straight fire road riding, 5% trail riding.

I'll make to my local trails (25 minute car ride) 3-4 times a year. Just don't have a lot of extra time in my busy schedule. The 90% is cruising with the family and for exercise/ fitness. It's just easier To go for a ride from the house.

Is the Monocog a good bike for my type of riding.......with bmx bars of course.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Diamond frames are boring
Not all Diamonds...
136395-largest_RobLavaDimond1.jpg

Disclaimer: 90% of my riding will be pavement riding, 5% long, straight fire road riding, 5% trail riding.

I'll make to my local trails (25 minute car ride) 3-4 times a year. Just don't have a lot of extra time in my busy schedule. The 90% is cruising with the family and for exercise/ fitness. It's just easier To go for a ride from the house.

Is the Monocog a good bike for my type of riding.......with bmx bars of course.

Monocog is good for any and all types of riding. My 29'er I posted gets used for rail trail, xc, gravel, paved bike paths,.........

On our group mellow family rides, my first inclination is to take one of my Electra 'strandies', due to the combo of comfort and the Nexus 7.
IMG_20180520_180532760.jpg

IMG_20180614_192616075.jpg

However, my Wife usually claims the black one (Garcia), and the red (Malone) one usually gets loaned to whoever is bike poor. So, I usually end up riding the Monocog or Big Ripper...and honestly, I find both to be my most comfortable bikes.
IMG_20190824_102847879.jpg

That is probably because I stopped riding ~13yo, and that was all BMX. The proportions on these 26" and 29" BMX cruisers transport me immediately back to that 11-13yo self. Capability wise, my BMX'd Monocog gets me some strange looks when I'm out on the trails...but, I have no problem keeping up with most everyone. Well, until the inclines :doh:.

On our group mellow family rides, my first inclination is to take one of my Electra 'strandies', due to the combo of comfort and the Nexus 7.
View attachment 157370
View attachment 157371
However, my Wife usually claims the black one (Garcia), and the red (Malone) one usually gets loaned to whoever is bike poor. So, I usually end up riding the Monocog or Big Ripper...and honestly, I find both to be my most comfortable bikes.
View attachment 157372
That is probably because I stopped riding ~13yo, and that was all BMX. The proportions on these 26" and 29" BMX cruisers transport me immediately back to that 11-13yo self. Capability wise, my BMX'd Monocog gets me some strange looks when I'm out on the trails...but, I have no problem keeping up with most everyone. Well, until the inclines :doh:.
You got some nice bikes there. I recently sat on a big ripper at my LBS and just loved it. I'm 6' with a 34" inseam and it's like the bike was made for me. The 1st thing that I thought of though was that the bike needed taller bars. Looks like you thought the same thing.
I'm excited to get the monocog. It's going to be my all purpose bike. Having that bike might prompt me to get out to the trails more often.

View attachment 157370
View attachment 157371
View attachment 157372
Any pics of the Monocog and Big Ripper next to each other?

capability wise, my BMX'd Monocog gets me some strange looks when I'm out on the trails...but, I have no problem keeping up with most everyone. Well, until the inclines :doh:.
Some people hunt out, and relish that shocked response. Proud to be under gunned but still a better shot

Not great pics, only had a small window to get them in as I've had to sort out airbags and make a 48" hitch extension.
IMG_20210513_180753590.jpg
IMG_20210513_180813503.jpg
IMG_20210513_181359254.jpg
IMG_20210513_181425054.jpg
IMG_20210513_181425054.jpg
IMG_20210513_181416266.jpg

Ignore the dirt and such...they weren't cleaned up after the last couple outings. Hard to get a good comparison pic. Monocog is probably nearly 2" taller at the grips, and the seat 2" higher to keep the relationship the same. Bottom brackets are similar height, tad higher on the Monocog.

The Ripper lives in the house, the rest of these live in the dungeon...
IMG_20210513_180723116.jpg

All ready to close up again...
IMG_20210513_183710435.jpg

The 48" long hitch extension...
IMG_20210513_175008397.jpg

Last edited:
Quite the rig, RG. Bikes look good too. Especially the bars on the PK, love the asymmetry. Now I'll spend a few minutes sifting through your hoard, there are a few nuggets in there...

I'm excited to get the monocog. It's going to be my all purpose bike. Having that bike might prompt me to get out to the trails more often.
The amount of comparative ease in handling trails compared to your other option should make trail riding much more enjoyable. Once your skills have improved the other option may be something you wish to revisit. One can never have too many bikes.

The amount of comparative ease in handling trails compared to your other option should make trail riding much more enjoyable. Once your skills have improved the other option may be something you wish to revisit. One can never have too many bikes.

So what you are saying is that once my skills improve on the trails, the klunker would be more fun?

So what you are saying is that once my skills improve on the trails, the klunker would be more fun?

I think he's saying you may find trails far more enjoyable on the cog. Explore the klunker later on

Lots of people go underbiked and never get to appreciate what some proper equipment can bring to the situation

I think he's saying you may find trails far more enjoyable on the cog. Explore the klunker later on

Lots of people go underbiked and never get to appreciate what some proper equipment can bring to the situation
Gotcha. I understand.

Latest posts

Back