State 650b Klunker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WELP! Nothing ever goes as planned. The guy who was going to buy my SE backed out at the last second. Needed that money to buy the COG. I might just keep the SE, throw some taller bars, and knobby tires on it and use it for trail riding. My trails are flat anyway. No climbing here. .... I'm pissed off!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

WELP! Nothing ever goes as planned. The guy who was going to buy my SE backed out at the last second. Needed that money to buy the COG. I might just keep the SE, throw some taller bars, and knobby tires on it and use it for trail riding. My trails are flat anyway. No climbing here. .... I'm pissed off!

If the OM is in good shape you should be able to sell it quick...they are great bikes, just nostalgia vs dirt weapon.

More like N - 1… followed by N + 2... repeat. I could never hide N + 41 from the wife :grin: .
It is a double whammy for me. The guy backed out of the deal, and my wife caught wind of the amount Of the COG. It was just going to be an even exchange of money, $550 per bike.

My wife doesn't understand bike quality. She says," why can't you just get a bike at Walmart or Target." I tried to explain to her that those bikes are junk not worth the money. She doesn't get it.

For a brief moment after all of this, I thought about still selling the SE and buying an old Schwinn cruiser and building a klunker. Found a Schwinn Del Mar for $40. It's rusted out except the frame and fork and who knows how much money I would have to dump into it. Probably $550. LOL!

To keep peace in the house, I think I'm better off just keeping the SE. I really hate that bike.

I think I'll throw some 9" rise bars on it. Any recommendations for street and trail tires?

This blows!

Al's Rapid Transit Cook Bros bar. Bitd that was a relief for the brake lever clamp.
@MattiThundrrr just happened to be informed by eBay that a set Cook Bros bars have been listed.
Screenshot_20210514-190918.png

$1020 with six days left... I'll stick with the Al's

If it may be any help with convincing your wife that a quality bicycle is not bought at a big box store, Sheldon Brown estimated once that the average *-Mart bike was designed to only last 50 miles, since that's more miles than the average bike was ridden, from store-to-dumpster. Who was Sheldon Brown?

Saint Sheldon

Or some anecdotal evidence: as a kid, I scraped together all my paperroute money and went down to the Kmart and purchased a "mountain bike". The rims were ruined rolling off the sidewalk out front before I even got it to the car. Bikes are like tools, buy expensive and cry once, buy cheap and cry often.

Latest posts

Back