State 650b Klunker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Truetorch make a quality cromo bar (longhorn) similar to the old cook bros cruiser bars. Not cheap but beautifully made and deep chrome. I have them on my Avenger. View attachment 157848

I had those bars on my avenger. They're now on my Fast ripper.
FR3.jpg

"Each bike is constructed with top quality materials and components"

The spec does not reveal what a learned individual might see as "top quality".

BOTTOM BRACKET
sealed Bearing Cartridge
Jis square taper
English threaded
68mm x 103mm
BRAKES
rear Coaster Brake Only
CHAIN
KMC singesleeped Wide
CHAINRING
steel, 42t
CRANK
Alloy
Crank Arm Length: 170mm
FORK
Hi tensile steel tiG-Welded
26” Unicrown
FRAME
Hi tensile steel
HANDLEBARS
V-Bar Hi tensile steel
7” rise, 30” Wide
Chrome Finish
Klunker Detailed Sizing and Spec Guide
HEADSET
NECO 1¹/8” threadless
steel
HUBS
Coaster Brake Hub
22t Cog
PEDALS
Plastic Platform Pedal
SADDLE
Leatherette saddle
steel rails
SEAT POST
Aluminum, Candle type
diameter: 25.4mm
Length: 300mm
SEAT POST CLAMP
Aluminum
diameter: 25.4mm
SPOKES
14G stainless steel
STEM
Aluminum
BMX-style
Clamp diameter: 22.2mm
Length: 50mm
TIRES
WtB Vigilante
27.5” x 2.3”
WHEELS
27.5” Aluminum
36H

There are probably more than a few bikes posted up on this forum that have been assembled on a classic frame in this style with better parts for less and a bunch more with truly "top quality" parts for not much more. Then there are some "top quality" Chromoly framesets built up in this style with parts to match that cost much more.

Bottom line, don't trust everything you read in advertising.

There are probably more than a few bikes posted up on this forum that have been assembled on a classic frame in this style with better parts for less and a bunch more with truly "top quality" parts for not much more. Then there are some "top quality" Chromoly framesets built up in this style with parts to match that cost much more.

Bottom line, don't trust everything you read in advertising.
I mean nothing you said is wrong but at the same time it looks like fun without having to find all the parts and personally I really like paint jobs on the national park editions.

I dig the idea, just not the marketing execution. Thematic bikes are a WIN, IMO. Inspiration can come from just about anywhere and Fun is Fun, no matter how we attempt to dissect it. For those without the time or inclination, $300 is a good deal for a limited edition to kick around town on.

Now I'm going to have some fun on two wheels before tomorrow's windstorm shuts me down on two wheeled recreation for a day. It doesn't matter what I ride, it just matters that I'll be riding.

Awesome read this thread! In my country Klunkers are not popular and/or recognized unfortunately.

Does anyone know which coasterbrake hub the "State Klunker" utilizes?

The Transition Klunker uses the "Hi-Stop" I am guessing.

The Hi-Stop is a Chinese variant of the Shimano CB-E110 in my view.

Correct me if I am Wrong ;)

Besides Pauls awesome documented website, what are your experiences with the CB-E110 like hub on trails?

I was bummed that I missed out on their Grateful Dead theme bikes, but decided to pick up the Yellowstone version from the National Park series during their one day sale. The welds are not the prettiest. There are a couple of boogers near a couple of welds and it had some pretty serious scratches on the underside of the top tube. They were out of sight and not enough to make me deal with returning the bike though. That all being said, I absolutely love the way this bike rides. I'm average height, 5'8" if I stretch and the bike feels big to me. It may be that I haven't ridden anything bigger than a 26" wheel. It rides beautifully though. Something about a coaster brake brings back that feeling of freedom when you were a little kid toolin' down the street with a big smile on your face. The gearing for me is perfect. I did 26 relatively flat, paved miles yesterday with no trouble. Except for my butt. Saddle and grips will be my first upgrades. I am very pleased overall, especially at the sale price.

IMG_4555.jpeg

IMG_4549.jpeg

IMG_4550.jpeg

Been following this thread, very interesting. I recently took delivery of my State klunker, a nice bike for the price. I'm interested in changing the bars, looking to get some truetorch bars, would like to know where i can some? Thanks for your help, Dave.

Latest posts

Back