Steampunk bike project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A friend of mine that lives in New Mexico, asked me to build her a Steampunk bike, she is into Steampunk, big time! Started out with a ten dollar bike from the thrift store. It was a 10-speed bike that someone put a 3-speed wheel set on the rear, left the front derailleur in place and made it a 6-speed, it works, so, going to keep it as such, more machinery for that Steampunk look.

Frame stripped and ready to paint.

Started on some of the pieces parts. Crank and sprockets painted.

Old tank picked up at a garage sale.

A lamp unto my feet.

Took the 3-speed shifter put an enclosure around it made from the bottom of a tin can, added a glass door knob, mounted it to a metal plate.

Just a few items to go into this project.

I've had really good luck with rub n buff metallic paints for the steampunk look. I've ordered it online, but Michaels might have it. I spray the parts flat black, then I squeeze a little on my finger and kind of smear it on. Or, a soft paint brush gives it a more scratchy look if you apply it that way.Then when it dries, you can buff it to a sheen. It's a cool look.
ynusa6av.jpg

I can't wait to see more of this build! Killer stuff so far!

I've had really good luck with rub n buff metallic paints for the steampunk look. I've ordered it online, but Michaels might have it. I spray the parts flat black, then I squeeze a little on my finger and kind of smear it on. Or, a soft paint brush gives it a more scratchy look if you apply it that way.Then when it dries, you can buff it to a sheen. It's a cool look.
ynusa6av.jpg

WHOA! Thanks for the tip!

ynusa6av.jpg

Yes Michael's carries it. I used the same technique on my build off bike, which was also steampunk inspired.

Hobby Lobby has "Rub n' Buff" too, good stuff.
Don't forget the plumbing Dept at your local hardware store...
Copper straps are awesome and have that look. Brass acorn nuts to top stuff off. I've done a few guitars and The Difference Engine leans that way too...
Modded it into an Archbar Frame with copper.
Looking forward.

Carl.

How about something like this tail light but not mounted with duct tape and bailing wire. Lens came from an old Polaroid I got for about $2 from goodwill. The body was molded into the camera so I cut it off with my saws-all. I think it would look cool on your bike. You could make a headlight as well like this.
Now, THAT, is shear genius! I see old 35mm lenses at the thrift store all the time, will grab one, next trip.

Latest posts

Back