BO15 SteamRoller - Finished 1st THANKS!! - CompareTwinWinsVerBotenSteamRoller

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While those bars look great, my first impression with just the frame/wheels/fork was more of a salt track/board tracker/"looks-like-it's-going-fast-already" vibe. Of course, you've already done salt track, and we've see your bars-o-rama thoughts, so, I'll just sit back, relax, keep my opinions to myself, and enjoy the show! :cool:

Another "Emelda Bar-cos" year?
I know you've got a couple other ideas.

I was thinking that. Maybe something like a modified Clubman or moustache bar that puts you in a more aggressive stance?

I also feel that big/wide bars would disrupt the silhouette and distract the attention from the frame, would also make it look smaller. I think these lines require a more minimalist approach.

Not planning on an emelda bar-cos parade, but I am sure I will try other bars as this moves forward. Still trying to get the vibe right for this build. It is so early. I'm not really a boardtracker kinda guy, but who knows. I think I need to work on some seat options before selecting bars. Putting a seat on one of these frames is a bit of a different challenge than most bikes.

This just keeps getting cooler with each pic!

Any chance you could put an arch on the end of those bars? I think it would look good if they matched the arch of the top tube.

This just keeps getting cooler with each pic!

Any chance you could put an arch on the end of those bars? I think it would look good if they matched the arch of the top tube.

Not planning on tweaking these bars.

@Skipton suggested flipping the bars.

20200503_120155.jpg
20200503_120202.jpg
20200503_120213.jpg

He also suggested putting the seat over the tire

20200503_120844.jpg
20200503_120854.jpg
20200503_120931.jpg

This might come into play too.

20200503_125825.jpg

Because of the mountain bike front end, perhaps some type of comfort butterfly bar, or touring?
Butterfly-Trekking-Handlebar-for-Bicycle-Touring.jpg
14244217511_44688da90d_z.jpg

I dunno if the touring bar has enough "Flair" for a Kingfish build (see what I did there?) but those butterfly bars could be funky.

Because of the mountain bike front end, perhaps some type of comfort butterfly bar, or touring?
View attachment 118538View attachment 118539
I dunno if the touring bar has enough "Flair" for a Kingfish build (see what I did there?) but those butterfly bars could be funky.

I have some butterflies, but both of those are far too practical for me to use :D :D . I don't see myself on the trail or touring with this bike!!! :D :D

Flipped bars appear to blend with other shapes at this stage of your project. Guess it depends on how you want to be positioned when riding.

I forgot to post this up from yesterday. As you probably noticed, these Elgin Twin Bars don't have a seat tube. Instead they use a special clamp that can actually be slid forward or backward a little to hold a seatpost. The one I had for VerBoten actually bent on one of the first rides after I painted it and had the longspring saddle on it. Yesterday I did some beating on it to get it back in position for mockups. To actually ride on this again, I will need to have my friend weld it up a bit to strengthen it. My seating may go another direction, so I may not even use this. We'll see.

20200502_175455.jpg
20200502_180434.jpg
20200502_181801.jpg
20200502_181846.jpg

Back to the brainstorming and mockups. I do like the flipped Felby bars and I am digging the high back nanner. Once I saw the banana seat on there, I remembered the kiddie racer I bought at a yard sale for $5 many years ago. When I saw the racer in the driveway, my first thought was cutting it in half and making a cafe racer seat and tank for some bike at some point.

So anyways, I pulled the racer out today and the back end looks like it could be a great fit with the height and curve of the nanner.

Here is what I mean by a cafe racer seat.

rodents_Honda_CB550_12.jpg

Now that you have a feel for what I am shooting for seat wise. Here is where I got today.

Took apart the wheels and such from the racer. Cut off the cross brace plate. Tested the nanner inside.

20200503_152231.jpg
20200503_153030.jpg
20200503_161422.jpg
20200503_161523.jpg
20200503_161532.jpg

Then sorta did a mockup on the bike just to get a sense of scale before I cut up the racer any more. I also want to look at more cafe racer examples before I cut on this. The plan is to use some portion of the rear of the racer to mount to the high back nanner and create my version of a nanner cafe fender.

Yes, I know this look massive and crazy, but you have to visually cut away what isn't gonna be there :D .

20200503_161719.jpg
20200503_161842.jpg

You sure could get a cafe racer look by cutting the front off that shell. But the whole thing needs to be horizontal to look right and might not be good for this frame. I'm also wondering if those fork tubes will flip around? Give it that flipped rockers look, throw that front wheel forward. You got some big ratings to follow brother, gonna have to pull out the stops...

GC.

Latest posts

Back