Stoked!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
8157F086-2E2B-4D41-A0A5-508CC32F085F.jpeg

A little background, Back in the 90’s I rode my mountain bike a lot and around that time one of my friends introduced me to 50’s and 60’s cantilever Schwinn’s and a guy that had a bunch for sale. Now my buddies black 50something cantilever had Redline Flight cranks which is really what made me even give cruisers a second look. I grew up on a bmx bike and knew about Redline because my brother had one. Anyway I was told that the long wheelbase and shear weight of the beast made it excellent for bombing hills. That thing was so sketchy upon further inspection there were missing and broken or really loose spokes on the front and rear wheels but I rode it anyway! It bombed hills!
Fast forward to last April and I noticed a real deal made in the 80’s strandie at my local surf spot and decided then and there to turn my surf thrasher into a more BMX style strandie. I’ve got to say that it’s the smoothest and most quiet riding bike I’ve ever owned! I’m stoked on how this thing turned out!
It started with a 1967 Schwinn Typhoon that I’ve been riding for a while and I’ve had for over 20 years. I wanted to use American components but discovered that that would make this build truly senseless as far as cost would go. I managed to source some cool NOS STUFF that was American made but that was only because I scoured the interwebs and found really good deals. Stoked!!!
And some more shots!
2F07FE47-AEEC-4EBE-A634-EDD14BDC53F9.jpeg
FC6848D7-1FBF-4657-8EC6-4DB9769C544E.jpeg
B0C24EC4-1DFA-4F90-BFB9-BA5B22DE706C.jpeg
E6CFFB90-15C1-45E1-A6DA-F93EE8EE1BA6.jpeg
0B3D748F-F669-4CB8-B418-3C6D0FC52782.jpeg
3A07981A-CCE1-462A-817A-5FD316C4BF3A.jpeg
5A2D462F-4065-464A-A6AA-F5F5C3E16A48.jpeg
03C6217C-DB87-4577-8C67-04C9DC982968.jpeg
0EC39132-BB91-4372-8F98-C7FEA874CF85.jpeg
0092439E-69E7-4DCE-AB64-77232DB70C1D.jpeg
DCEC2ABC-4F0C-4001-BBCA-B1B8EFEE5D94.jpeg

Hope y’all enjoy! Cheers!

Last edited:
Great combo of a classic frame and some very cool 'modern' parts!
you nailed the strands look, with a dash of rust to boot. :41:

There's a lot worth mentioning, like the seatpost clamp, the DiaComp levers, all the SR stuff, but I really I love the little window on the Tange headset to show off the teeth of the locking washer.

Not senseless at all! Sweet bike, great components.
Thanks! More to the back story, I wanted an OM Flyer to ride at the dirt track with my son but the wife scoffed at the price so I devised a plan to spend about the same amount slowly turning my cruiser into what it is now...Sshh!! I’m 30 pounds heavier than I was when I used to jump a different older Schwinn cruiser which I bent and destroyed a fork on. I ride this at the track but I’m nervous about jumping it and destroying the frame. I’m thinking about throwing as many of the parts off of this now onto a new Gary Turner 26” bmx frame, they’re made right here in California! So yeah a little senseless :grin:
***EDITED THOUGHTS!
I've actually been thinking a lot about your comment. Yesterday I was thinking about that and my son and daughters and lady and where I live and the fact that I get to do this and seriously I'm STOKED!!! Naaaaaame change!!!:41: THANK YOU!!!

Last edited:
Great combo of a classic frame and some very cool 'modern' parts!
you nailed the strands look, with a dash of rust to boot. :41:
Thank You! I’ve always like the fresh parts on the old frame, car, boat, whatever look! I’m satisfied.

Love it. Love the copper and red together. Very very cool
Me too! I made the decision to go red based on the colors and number of teeth available for my $15 NOS Profile sprocket, I think red was it, wasn’t sure about it at first but it’s growing on me! Thanks!

There's a lot worth mentioning, like the seatpost clamp, the DiaComp levers, all the SR stuff, but I really I love the little window on the Tange headset to show off the teeth of the locking washer.
Me too! It’s such a brilliant design and it works! Unfortunately the Dia-Compe brakes basically suck at my current vs 1980’s(last time I used calipers) weight class Flyweight to Heavyweight

Thanks! More to the back story, I wanted an OM Flyer to ride at the dirt track with my son but the wife scoffed at the price so I devised a plan to spend about the same amount slowly turning my cruiser into what it is now...Sshh!! I’m 30 pounds heavier than I was when I used to jump a different older Schwinn cruiser which I bent and destroyed a fork on. I ride this at the track but I’m nervous about jumping it and destroying the frame. I’m thinking about throwing as many of the parts off of this now onto a new Gary Turner 26” bmx frame, they’re made right here in California! So yeah a little senseless :grin:
EDITED THOUGHTS!
I've actually been thinking a lot about your comment. Yesterday I was thinking about that and my son and daughters and lady and where I live and the fact that I get to do this and seriously I'm STOKED!!! Naaaaaame change!!!:41:
^^^This!:bigboss:

Now that's hot :rockout:

Latest posts

Back