Straight from Bonneville***The Speed Demon***(DONE!!!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello fellas,(and lady fellas :wink:)

It's that time again. The most stressful time of the year(for me).It's RRBBO 6! The past year has been a little crazy for me. I have done a lot since the last build off. Dr.Tankensien and I teamed up and built Rat Rod Bike's first ever Auction Rat. It was a huge success and brought a great sum of money to the forum. If you would like to check it out, it will be featured in Kickstand Magazine's issue #8. Also, I started two restorations. One being a 1947 Monark Super Deluxe and the other a 1941 Colson Firestone Super Cruiser. All the details and specifications that go along with restorations are too stressful and make simple projects a Job!

With all that being said I'm ready to build a Freakin Awesome bike for ME! I want something to reflect my style instead of trying to remake the original look. SOOOOOOO....lets take a look at what we have in-store!

Here is my early 50's J.C. Higgins I will be starting with.

P4290343.jpg

P4290344.jpg

P4290346.jpg

Here are some of my prized parts I have collected since build off 5 ended. Please take a look. LOOK AT EVERYTHING. You never know what you might find in..."THE BOX" :shock:

P4290340.jpg

P4290342.jpg

P4290341.jpg

Last but not least, here is my Pride and Joy! It took me a while to save up for these lil demons but they will be worth it. Simple Man sold me these back in the beginning of the year and I have been saving them for the build.

Felt 24x3 all black coasters topped with Felt thick bricks...Hot Wheel style :lol:
P4290352.jpg

Stay tuned!
:wink:

Re: Strait from Bonneville***The Speed Demond***

So far your wheels, your frame, or half you box of parts would sell for more on eBay than my finished bike. Good start! Looking forward to it.

oh ya... gonna be a good build this year

Hmmmmmzz....
How can we beat that pile of cool stuff. Those wheels will look awesome. You guys did a terrific job on the Rustrocket. I won't be surprised if this build-off bike is going to be as cool as... well, you know.. :wink:
I hope this bike is going to sport a cool Coasters-logo :wink:
Good luck and have fun!

Thanks for all the encouraging comments. Right now I have a few ideas in my head, but overall I have a good idea of what I want this baby to turn out like. Fist of all the frame will be left just the way it is. I plan to rub it down with linseed oil to get a nice smooth Rusty finish with a touch of shine.

With that being said, I will probably star laying down the first coats here in a few minutes. I know that linseed oil probably isn't the first thing that would come to your mind when looking for a clear coat but I've seen it done before and it does some amazing things with the overall patina look.

Once again thanks for the positive comments and stay tuned :wink:

Ohh man, this is gonna be awesome Tyler :p

Sooo, I just logged in and saw that...The Box :shock: made front page!

Be careful with your rags when you are done. I would hate to see spontaneous combustion ruin your build (and your garage). When you are done lay the out flat outside until they have dried.

Watching with interest.

udallcustombikes said:
Be careful with your rags when you are done. I would hate to see spontaneous combustion ruin your build (and your garage). When you are done lay the out flat outside until they have dried.

Watching with interest.
:shock:I know! Combustion is a crazy thing isn't it!

Also, this is my first progress update!
I found this sweet Higgins sprocket I took off a 50's 3 speed diamond frame Higgins made in Austria...RARE if you ask me. Cleaned it up while leaving a few patina spots for the full effect.

Last but not least I inflated my tires and made sure they fit in my frame. Its a little close up front but I have room to spare in the rear. My triple tree is a little different than any other chopper fork I have used in the past. It has some spring action. It was once a mountain bike fork(I'm guessing) with brakes welded on the front from the factory. So a little help from the angle grinder and now I have a good set of "springy" chopper forks.

p.s. The Forks looks bent but I have no headset inside. Its just propped up there. Also threw these bars and set on it. Let me know what you think!

P5010353.jpg

P5010354.jpg

P5010356.jpg

P5010357.jpg

P5010358.jpg

P5010361.jpg

P5010362.jpg

P5010363.jpg

P5010364.jpg

P5010366.jpg

P5010367.jpg

P5010368.jpg

Re: Strait from Bonneville***The Speed Demond***(Update #1)

Great frame style & that is one awesome sprocket! 8)

herr_rudolf said:
I guess you do plan on winning, eh..?
8)

hahahaha :lol: We will just have to wait and see. All I'm planing on doing is building a awesome bike for me to ride, but if I win that would just make things better. But like I said, Just want to build a cool bike.

Are you going to make it a truck?

Your bikes are so COOL :shock:

Latest posts

Back