Stringray Go-Trike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a thread for this running over on Retro-Rides (I'm a car guy but this little project was too good to pass up).

Anyway, I'm building a mobility scooter up in to a go-kart. I bought the scooter chassis bare and then grabbed a go-kart 'kit' (read: 'sack-truck almost converted to small go-kart') for the wheels, axles and brakes that were there, and it also came with this:

DSCF0325_zpsoacrhoe8.jpg

Well I had thought about adding the engine to the soapbox when I've done the run for some toy fun later. But it's not 'likely' to be the best basis for a go-kart to be honest after I have chopped it all around etc - but who knows. And if I make a good enough job of the Hansom Cab soapbox, it might end up doing a few years stint in the history group and possibly the museum as some form of local homage to Hinckley, I don’t know.

So I was browsing the internet and well-known auction sites for box section and inspiration and came across this:

Wait for it...

1_zpsagpimone.jpg

“FANTASTIC!” I thought, “bet it’s miiilles away”.

Nope, 5 minutes’ drive from my house, 2 minutes’ drive from where I work. Was on eBay for £20 starting bid (no bids) and 3 and a bit days to run. Thought I’d be cheeky and sent a text asking if I could come take some measurements with a view to buying it. The seller called me up and we arranged that I would pop round on my way home.

Got there, friendly guy – told me he had bought 2 Stringray bikes and made this for a soapbox race in Wales. Won a prize (I think for most frickin’ awesome) and did quite well in the races too. Anyway, I tell him my situation and plans and he is almost as buzzing as I am. Tells me he has had loads of interest but nobody came up with an offer or bid and seemed to want to convert it back to pedal-power (see the footplate bar, welded through the crank ‘bit’ so would be tricky).

Anyway, the deal is done and it’s loaded in the back of my car (handlebars flipped down, front wheel off – just fits). He even agreed on a great price as I think his SWMBO just wanted it gone (more on that in a bit).

I may just use this for my soapbox to start with, but then I plan to drop the little engine in between and above the two rear wheels and chain drive the left hand wheel – should go fairly well. Will probably need to look at cog and transfer arrangement as the engine has a go-kart cog rather than a bike one – so different chain - will look at that another time though. Here's it's peachy bum:

2_zpsrhxnt9no.jpg

So not so much a build I guess, but an adaptation/extension of an existing one (or two). Now I just need to find the right time to tell my SWMBO this now resides in our garage…

My first question has been posted to the 'How To' section here if anyone thinks this project is worthy of their help?

I've woken feeling that I may use this first for the soapbox and bin the scooter idea off (or at least re-engineer that thought) then add the motor to this later (and by later, I mean next summer) - the trike has everything for the soapbox there and just needs dressing up.

So this might become a very slow thread for a while!

Latest posts

Back