Stripped & Teased: Updated 7/15

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Stripped & Teased: Updated 5/23

Strange huh... How the bare metal darkens when using a clear coat. It evens out the 'scratches' which reflected the light before applying the clearcoat. It was very dissapointing for me when I did that discovery. On your tank, however, it looks great. It emphasizes the light greenish color.

I love to see new fabricated ideas at work. True mind art.

Re: Stripped & Teased: Updated 5/27

Thanks everyone for the comments! I finally got my sprocket in the mail today. I was planning on stripping it to bare metal because in the ebay pics the chrome looked long gone. When I got it I realized it was nos and just covered in years of greasy dust. There's some shelf ware but cleaning it was a lot easier than stripping it would have been :D . I think it'll be nice and fast with the 52 teeth up front and the three speed in the back.

DSC04156.jpg

Re: Stripped & Teased: Updated 5/27

kram said:
Thanks everyone for the comments! I finally got my sprocket in the mail today. I was planning on stripping it to bare metal because in the ebay pics the chrome looked long gone. When I got it I realized it was nos and just covered in years of greasy dust. There's some shelf ware but cleaning it was a lot easier than stripping it would have been :D . I think it'll be nice and fast with the 52 teeth up front and the three speed in the back.

DSC04156.jpg

Thats one of my favorite sprockets, I have a couple myself. They came on Ross bikes originally.

if you spend a lot of time polishing the metal before you clear it i find that it does not darken as much.

Lookin sweet!

Re: Stripped & Teased: Updated 6/19

Not much has happened on my bike in the last few weeks. I've been really busy with work and just haven't had much free time to finish sanding and polishing the frame. It's crazy how the deadline is sneaking up! I did get a headlight bracket from Crassly so I took a couple minutes to mock it up. The headlight is and electrical insulator with a cheapo ebay led light that fits super snug inside. Originally I was going to use it on my swingbike, but I think it matches this build a little better. I used the handlebars from my build off bike on another bike to see how it looks. I'm really liking how it mimics the size and shape of the spring.

DSC04292.jpg

DSC04286.jpg

DSC04288.jpg

Re: Stripped & Teased: Updated 7/1

Finally some signs of progress on this build. I think I've gotten everything painted and it sure is nice to see it starting to resemble a bike again! Everything that needs to be greased is all lubed up, and now I just need to finish putting it back together. I have to still make a couple little brackets for the shifter but other than that it is getting close. It's late so I'm sorry that the pictures are crappy. I will get some more when I get it more put together.

DSC04311.jpg

A little while ago some one posted a bike on ebay that used an old spoon for the coaster brake thingy. I thought it was a good idea so I stole it, he he he. I picked up a fork at Salvation Army for a whopping twenty five cents. I bent it over a small pipe to get the shape, trimmed of the fork part, and drilled a couple holes in it. Though it's a small detail I think it looks pretty cool.

DSC04308.jpg

oh man, I'm SO using that spoon idea. that is fantastic. and that headlight - brilliant. i like this build a lot.

looks awesome!

Poor spoons have been used for everything ,but eating. The ornate silver ones use to make nice rings back in the day. Looking good . The minimalistic paint scheme looks good also. :wink:

Latest posts

Back