Stripped & Teased: Updated 7/15

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been loving all of the bare metal bikes lately and I've decided that I need one too :D . It's an early sixties American frame that has been sitting in storage for quite a few years waiting to be built. I've mocked it up a couple times but that's as far as it's ever gotten. The tank I got off of ebay a few years ago for like $15 because the seller misspelled Schwinn. I just got the fork from CCR, and bikebuilder made the seatpost. The persons seat also came from a member but I can't remember who it was.

My plans are to strip the frame and tank to bare metal and clearcoat. Then I'll paint the rims navy blue and add a bit of the blue onto the tank. I plan on running a 26x 1 3/8 on the front and a 26x2.125 slick on the rear. I have no idea what I'm doing about handlebars at the moment, so I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

DSC04094.jpg

The cool thing about the seatpost is that the brace fits in the slit of the seat tube and the bolt for the clamp goes through the hole. So you can use the clamp even when the seat is all the way down.
DSC04060.jpg

Re: Stripped & Teased

far out that bike looks awsome already

you guys in the states have some great old frames laying around

do both sides of that tank look that good!!! if so, NEVER STRIP THAT TANK!!! it would be really cool to have a bare metal bike with that tank on it. just my two cents though.

Easy E

Both of sides of the tank are the same, and it has never been mounted on a bike before. However the tank is a reproduction and the green part is just a sticker. It looks good in the picture but the stickers aren't cut very well and the alignment is off. I plan on stripping it and painting the wing design to match the color of the wheels. If I don't like it I could always paint it similar to how it is now and it would probably look better.

Great looking frame and tank, and I've never seen a seat like that but I really like it! Your ideas for the build sound like it'll turn out a good looking bike!

Re: Stripped & Teased: updated 5/8

I got my tires in a couple days ago and had a chance to mock them up today. You never really know how a bike is going to look until you get the tires on it. I think I might be using a pair of cut down moon bars, but the bars in the picture were the only ones I had at the moment. I'm thinking about switching the pivot point around on the fork to see how that looks too (I think it was karfer that I saw do that on a build). I also think I have a pretty good idea for putting the nexus shifter in the tank, I'll post pictures after I see if it works.

DSC04117.jpg

DSC04119.jpg

DSC04112.jpg

Re: Stripped & Teased: Updated 5/8

that bike would look great setup like that. and darn i guess i wont be ordering one of those slicks now lol u beat me to it

Thanks everyone for the compliments! Karfer I think it's ok for more than one person per build off to have the same tire :lol: . And yes the tire is for a horse cart and the company is Jerald. After seeing Gold Digger in last years buildoff I asked MikeS where he got his slick tire from. I ordered mine straight from the company but if you google 'horse tack supply' you should be able to find them at several retailers. Most of the sites don't have them pictured so you have to email or call, and I think they refer to them as flat top tread. It was kind of funny when I ordered it because the lady acted like it was really weird that I only ordered one. With shipping they end up costing around $35 and would probably be a bit cheaper if you ordered two so you could save on shipping. As a side note this tire is super stinky and my apartment now smells like a tire store

I like the wheels and tires, and the bars and the frame and the seat...! I can't wait to see what it will look like if you decide to flip the fork crown or whatever that part is called.

bike is looking great! :D love the tire & wheel combo and the seat post.you finally get to do your bare metal build,and it`s sweet! :mrgreen: go for it!

Re: Stripped & Teased: Updated 5/10

Brandon- I don't have a caliper to get a accurate measure but eyeballing the tire with a ruler it looks about 2 1/4" wide. This is a middleweight frame and it has between a 1/8"- 1/4" clearance on each side.

I switched the piece on the fork around and I like the way it looks. It is a subtle change but it lowers and lengthens it a bit. It does make the spring compress a bit more, but I think I'll leave it for now.
DSC04126.jpg

I plan on riding this bike a lot and having a nexus make for a much more enjoyable ride. However I really don't want the shifter on the bars and since I don't have money to buy or the skills to make a stick shifter, I rigged something up. I used a piece of plastic plumbing to mount the shifter on, then drilled holes in the brackets to hold the pipe in place. The hose clamp keeps the cable tight against twist shifter. If you pull the top cable it shifts up and shifts down if you pull the bottom. It actually works pretty good. I still need to figure out something to put on the cable so make it look better and easier to pull. If anyone has any ideas, or good way to attach something to the cable feel free to share.

DSC04122.jpg

DSC04124.jpg

DSC04125.jpg

Cram...I really like what you are doing here...your ideas on the shifter is MONEY! If you keep thinking along the same lines as you are now,the rest of your shifter will come to you...fer real.Just keep thinking outside the box...this isn't a race,you've plenty of time.If I can think of something to help you ,I'll let you know.Keep up the great work...Pappy 8)

This should allow slack on one side while the other side is pulled.
The cable ends would be bolted to the shifter lever and ride on a roller or bushing of some kind that would be bolted to the back plate that is bolted to the tank.

markshifter.jpg

Latest posts

Back