Sturmey S3C hub - brakes stick

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Central New York State near the Erie Canal
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been riding the bike I threw together last year but the brake sticks. As in the title, it's a Sturmey Archer 3 speed coaster brake hub. The brake stops normally but once stopped the wheel is locked up and I have kick the pedals forward to unstick it. I rebuilt the hub carefully per Sheldon Brown's website instructions. Why does it lock up?
Thanks
amecks

Attachments

• 20200816_165558.JPG
    20200816_165558.JPG
    667.7 KB · Views: 57
I followed the lubrication instructions on Sheldon Browns website. High temp grease on the bearings, inside the shell and the brake band and then 2 teaspoons of Sturmey oil. I will try draing and refilling the hub. I remember being extremely careful in following the instructions.
Maybe I'll look up other assembly instructions - there are at least one, maybe two other "how to"s on the net.
Thanks.

I have not rebuilt a sturmey hub but I have had the brake sticking problem after rebuilding other hubs. After a few rides and heavy use of the brake downhill they freed up.

Latest posts

Back